Author Topic: Holy bible and commemoration medal - any further information?  (Read 481 times)

Offline parkerbirch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Holy bible and commemoration medal - any further information?
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone provide any further information or insights into the following items: Holy Bible in commemoration of World War One (with maps of the major 'fronts' in the back). Commemoration 'medal'. Photographs attached.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holy bible and commemoration medal - any further information?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to rootschat
I,ve seen several on e bay and other antique shop sites of the brooch/medal/medallion but no info as to who made or distributed them , there was one thing on one site they were selling a pewter coated version of it otherwise it was exactly the same , but I can,t find anything regarding the bible at all .
the ones you have look in very good condition , does the bible have anything about who or what sort of organisation or particular religious group had them made it,s usually  in the first 2or 3 pages  of the book , even the printers name may be will help .
some things were even published by the big national newspapers in those days .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of those bibles about and both seem to be published by The British and Foreign Bible Society.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yo7/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yo8/

The first one (in red) has printed on the front that it was presented to someone by the Parish of Burnside. The other one just has the Commemoration of Peace and leaves embossed on the front and something at top I can't read.

I imagine that the one you have was presented in the same why by a town or Parish - perhaps to school children? I have seen various medals of different designs which were given out to school children with the name of the town on them.
Or Home Front workers? Or Council Workers? Or maybe an employer gave them out?

There seem to be a lot of the medals about all with that same RD serial number so it looks like a National Initiative. Probably they were sold and the money went to a charity war fund?

I have had a look at The Times because I thought if it was a national fund there would be some mention there but I couldn't find anything which was odd.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parkerbirch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you to fellow genealogists who have replied. The bible was published by the Oxford University Press for the British and Foreign Bible Society but there is no indication of who it was meant for.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
The bible was published by the Oxford University Press for the British and Foreign Bible Society but there is no indication of who it was meant for.

Hi Parkerbirch, and a warm welcome from me also, I wonder if it was just one of those things which were produced and handed out to soldiers at the end of the First World War.

Regards.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands