Author Topic: Dead Man's Penny  (Read 3337 times)

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dead Man's Penny
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I have a dead man's penny with the name Clifford Harker on it.  My question is as follows, how do I confirm which Clifford Harker this would have been awarded to. I understand that they were issued for soldiers that died during World War One.  I think the number on the penny is either 50 or 60.   But I have found two Clifford Harkers dying in this war.  I live in Australia and could not find a Clifford Harker at our Australian War Memorial Records.  Is there a list with numbers and corresponding numbers?

Cheers
Grumpier

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Man's Penny
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 02:24 BST (UK) »
hi,,there are 2 from the CWGC  site

HARKER, CLIFFORD Private 20084    16/12/1917 22   Royal Irish Regiment United Kingdom D. 268. ALEXANDRIA (HADRA) WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

HARKER, CLIFFORD Private 11298   21/08/1915    Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) United Kingdom Panel 117 to 119. HELLES MEMORIAL
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 14 02:34 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gortonboy  for your quick reply.  Yes, they were the two that I had and as yet I can find no connections to my family.  That is why I was wondering if the number on the penny could positively identify which one I should look for.  In all my family history research this is the first one that may have died during WW1, so I am hoping that I may be able to confirm this.

Cheers
Grumpier

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 14 06:00 BST (UK) »
I believe the numbers are nothing to do with regimental numbers,,,,just as there were no ranks engraved on them.
Okay, when you check your plaques, look at the number by the bottom of the Lion's back leg.

If the number is between the Lion's legs , then the plaque 'should' be marked WA (really a W with a bar running through it, so it looks like WA) on the rear of the plaque. This means it was made at Woolwich Arsenal.

If the number is to the left of the back leg, it will have NO markings - which shows it was made at the Memorial Plaque Factory in Acton.

The numbers on the Acton Plaques have not been found above 50.

The numbers on the Woolwich Plaques can reach up to 100.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Grumpier
do you have any links to Yorkshire?
both casualties were from that county one died at Gallipoli the other in Egypt

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline grumpier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, Yes I do have ties to Yorkshire, My great grandparents came from there.  They came out to Australia in 1883. So not sure how they could have the penny , but anything is possible and I am going sideways on the tree to see if there are any Harker surnames in there.

Thankyou both for your help.  I do appreciate it.  It has clarified that the penny is not a copy as it is 5 inches in diameter, does have the number 50 on it and also the letters E.C.RP or KP .  I shall keep searching.

I am not that good at research, confined to the internet.  But I do so enjoy looking for family history and also the lives and lifestyles of the times that my ancestors lived.

Cheers
Grumpier

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 April 14 00:19 BST (UK) »
If the letters are   ECP,,,They are the initials of Edward Carter Preston. who designed the Memorial plaques.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 April 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
If it is an Acton Plaque,,,it is likely to be the earlier date.In other words,,much more likely to be the Clifford Harker who died in 1915.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 April 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
One lad from Hellifield north yorkshire the other is more east yorkshire way but originally Leeds.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.