Author Topic: Looking for Laidlaws - Berwick/Sanquhar  (Read 14080 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Laidlaws - Berwick/Sanquhar
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 February 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Suzy The laidlaws are prolific in and around the Ettrick and Yarrow valleys not too far from Dumfriesshire .I have just completed Yarrow churchyard and there is one David Laidlaw who died Sandbed 3rd May 1820 aged 87yrs and Helen Thomson his spouse who died at Dodhead  Sept 1793 aged 50yrs  and two children Janet and WSilliam who died in youth,.
There are loads of Laidlaws but thats the only one listed in Ettrick Kirkyard,St Marys,and Yarrow or Kirkhope. With first names running in scotish families the above could be related.
alan

The Canadian writer Alice Munro, née Laidlaw, has been called, by one Canadian critic, "our Chekhov". She is a brilliant short-story writer and in one recent collection of stories she explored her Scottish Laidlaw heritage. Her people were from the Ettrick Valley -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_View_from_Castle_Rock

Harry

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
 I also have a david Laidlaw in my family tree
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
My nan told me that the family came from Yarrow, Selkirk early 1700 other than that I know very little except for what I know of the current family back to the late 1790/1800.  The area in which we come unstuck is my grandfathers father.

Did you know that there is noted on a semataph on Colonsay the name Laidlaw.  It confused me initially because I had always known that Laidlaw was a lowland name and also Leith and Edinburgh. 

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline laids12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 12 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi anyone who is still on this forum, My Great, great, great grandfather was Robert born in 1800
and his eldest son was William who emigrated to Australia in1852 was my Great great grandfather. I would love to hear from anyone who would like to swap information as much of story i have is really based around Australia

regards

Ian L

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, Your Robert Laidlaw was my gt gt gt grandfather William Laidlaw/Laidley's brother. I have a large family tree with our Laidlaw/Laidleys on it which I can send you  Robbie in Scotland

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 December 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

The Alice Munro comment intrigued me. I am a Scottish born LAIDLAW descendant living in Canada, so this is interesting.

My great great grandmother was Mary LAIDLAW (1822 - 1904) and she was born in Dumfriesshire. Her parents were William LAIDLAW and Jean HYSLOP. I haven't searched any farther back than this.

Mary
in Canada
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull