Author Topic: kirkcaldy mental hospital records  (Read 3487 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kirkcaldy mental hospital records
« on: Saturday 25 October 14 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know how to go about accessing records from this hospital?
even some history of the place too would be helpful. i have someone i am researching who died here in 1944 and would like to find out why etc
cheers  :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: kirkcaldy mental hospital records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 14 04:12 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
     Wasn't aware Kirkcaldy ever had a "Mental" hospital. Death Certificate will give name or address of hospital along with usual residence. Will also give cause of death.
     Dysart Combination Poorhouse at Thornton became Thornton Home in 1930s. It was taken over for the reception of mental patients at the start of WW2 but closed 1943. Kirkcaldy Combination Poorhouse at Kinghorn became Abden Home in 1930s. Whytemans Brae Hospital in Kirkcaldy had a psychiatric ward. Fife & Kinross Asylum, Springfield, Cupar, Fife became Stratheden Hospital in 1947.
     Suggest you contact: Fife Council Archive Centre, Carleton House, The Haig Business Park, Balgonie Road, Markinch, Glenrothes, Fife, KY7 6AQ for advice. Tel: 01592 583 352.

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your replies. i will have a look. i am pretty sure you can access your parents records though, especially when they have been dead for 70 years
 :)
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Don't think you are allowed to access somebody else's records?

Medical records are usually closed for 100 years to prevent anyone accessing the medical records of living people, but archives vary in what they allow you to look at if you can prove that the person in question is long dead. I've seen information more recent than 100 years old in the Highland Health Board Archives and the Grampian Health Board Archives, and I would have been allowed to see records of someone who died in 1921 if Lothian Health Board had been able to find any records if them for me to look at.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
so far they haven't being able to find any records. they haven't mentioned not making access available to me or the family though. i think nok can access records
yorkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
About 15 years ago I rang an asylum where my grandfather's aunt had died in the 1950s (so not really considered a close relative) and was told any request must be put in writing. I did so, stating I was interested in tracing family medical history. A few weeks later I got a phone call from a doctor at the hospital who had been given the files (more about this in a minute) and asked to phone so that she could explain any medical queries I might have had.
The aunt's file contained details of her previous medical history, admission records, medical details at the hospital and several next of kin (one son looking after her affairs but when he went on holiday he wrote a letter giving details of another son in England for contact in cause of emergency).
However, the bonus was that the doctor also read out the file of yet another son (also died 1950s). Seems he had served in WWI and been injured & gassed (all medical details included in his file). Mother looked after him for years until she became senile and was admitted so he was also taken into same hosiptal.
Each case is different but it's well worth making an attempt.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!