Author Topic: Who is the correct Father/Husband?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is the correct Father/Husband?
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help with this puzzle?

Margaret Owens marries James Gribben in June 1880 in Airdrie. Her father is Terence Owens, Cooper Journeyman (deceased). Her mother is Margaret Fox (deceased). Both bride and groom give addresses in Airdrie.

Margaret Owens was born about 1859 in ‘Ireland’ according to 1881 and 1891 censuses. In 1891 Margaret’s brother Patrick is with her family. He is a 31 year old coal miner born ‘Ireland’.

Margaret Gribben (MS Owens) dies in 1895 in New Monkland.  Her father is Terrence Owens, Cooper Journeyman (deceased). Her mother is Margaret Fox (deceased). Husband James Gribben is the informant.

I found a death for a Margaret Owens MS Fox in January 1880 in Airdrie. She was aged 40 58. This says she is the widow of Patrick Owens, Cooper Journeyman. Her father is Patrick Fox, Mason (deceased) and her mother is Ann T?ghley or F?ghley (deceased). Informant is Maggie Owens, her daughter, which fits to be my Margaret b 1859.

Is Margaret Owens’ husband’s name mistakenly given as Patrick rather than Ter(r)ence? Everything else ties in with what I know about the family (which is very little).

The 1881 census, after her 1880 marriage to James Gribben, is the first census I have found Margaret on.  I do not know when she came from Ireland, or if she came with family or alone.  IF the Margaret Owens who died in 1880 in Airdrie is her mother, I am wondering if her father Terrence or Patrick is also in Scotland. I have not been able to find him on any census or his death in Scotland before 1880. I am hoping that the family came from Ireland in time to be recorded on 1871 and earlier censuses.

Looking at children born to James Gribben and Margaret, it is possible that the family followed the Irish/Scottish naming pattern: First son Robert (same as Father’s Father), first daughter Margaret (Mother’s Mother), second daughter Catherine (Father’s Mother), and then there is second son Patrick (who should be named after Mother’s Father Terrence … or Patrick). Is this a clue or a red herring?

Can anyone come up with a way to sort this out, and maybe track down Terrence/Patrick?

A few second opinions would be most welcome. Thank you.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the correct Father/Husband?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

You say Margaret had a brother Patrick.  Do his marriage or death registrations (if in Scotland) assist on the name of his/their father?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie  :)

I've found a marriage for a Margaret Fox and Terence Owens  in 1855, Co Leitrim. it was RC - were yours RC?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Avm, I had a look for a death for Patrick. Results:
1896 OWENS PATRICK     M 37 BLYTHSWOOD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   
1907 OWENS PATRICK     M 47 DUNFERMLINE /FIFE 
1924 OWENS PATRICK     M 69 MID CALDER /MIDLOTHIAN
1949 OWENS PATRICK QUINTON     M 84 PROVAN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Due to location I suppose the first one is most likely.  :-\

There are 17 marriages after 1891 for a Patrick Owens (it is not mentioned on the 1891 that he is married). I couldn't find Patrick on earlier or later censuses to see if he had a wife.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie  :)

I've found a marriage for a Margaret Fox and Terence Owens  in 1855, Co Leitrim. it was RC - were yours RC?

Gadget

Hello Gadget!  ;D

Thanks very much for finding that marriage. It looks very promising. And yes, their daughter Margaret married James Gribben at St Margarets (Catholic) Church in 1880.  :)

So it is looking like Margaret's mother Margaret's d/c is incorrect in naming her husband as Patrick Owens Cooper Journeyman, and it should be Terrence Owens Cooper Journeyman.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I found a death for a Margaret Owens MS Fox in January 1880 in Airdrie. She was aged 40.

Was trying to find more on Margaret Owens m.s Fox - nothing with someone aged 40. However, I've found a death in Airdrie in 1880 of a Margaret Owens, aged 58. Is that correct?

Gadget

PS - it's Ann Feghley
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 November 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry Gadget, my mistake - you have found the right Margaret Owens death, aged 58 (I have no clue where I got the 40 from)  :-[

And thank you for interpreting her mother's name as Ann Feghley. The F was quite different from the one in Fox which put some doubt in my mind.

Sounds like an Irish surname.   :)