Author Topic: Evelin/Avlin Minnis  (Read 647 times)

Offline ocgotme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evelin/Avlin Minnis
« on: Sunday 08 June 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for information regarding Evelin or Avlin Minnis (male). His date of birth is between 1815 and 1820. He emigrated to America/Canada in 1833. I've searched for his name on passenger lists and the closest match I could find was on the "Madawaska," a J&J Corke ship which landed in St. Johns, New Brunswick in May 1833 from Londonderry. This person is listed as a female, however, so I'm not sure if this is a mistake, based on the name, or not. If it is the correct person, they are listed as coming from Strabane.

There was a letter from Londonderry that my grandfather read (and subsequently lost) which indicated that someone (a relative) had died and that taxes were due on land in that area. So I know that he most likely came from that region.

On the 1860 census in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, (where he eventually ended up) he has a relative by the same name who is living with himself and his wife, Catherine, and their children. This Evelin Minnis is listed as having been born in Ireland in 1839. A search for this Evelin Minnis turned up another J&J Corke line ship also landing in St. John's, New Brunswick and this Evelin is listed as coming from Strabane, as well. I don't believe that this is his son, as he was already in America long before this Evelin was born. However, this would seem to indicate that Evelin was very much a family name.

Evelin was a member of an Episcopal church in America, so he was most likely protestant in Ireland. I have searched for years and not found anything for his parents or family in Ireland. Any help would be appreciated. I have loads of info on his life in America, but Ireland has always been a mystery.
Thanks,
Tonya (Minnis) Fisher