Author Topic: Kinross Birth look-up Please  (Read 5338 times)

Offline bpietruch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Kinross Birth look-up Please
« on: Saturday 07 June 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the birth  of my gggrandfather Alexander Paton for approximately 8 years.  All census information I have found indicates his birth place as Kinross around 1843 - 1844.

His marriage cert Nov 25, 1870 in Central Glasgow District to Janet Fyfe shows his parents as Peter Paton, Tailor and Margaret Paton ms Miller both deceased.

I have found him in 1851 census in Kinross in Boarding House of Catherine Gow listed as scholar, pauper with no Paton's close.

I have searched Scotland's People with no luck finding a birth certificate.  I am thinking either he was illegitimate or was a member of the Associate Church and therefore would only find records there..

Was hoping someone would be able to look-up in Kinross family history center or direct me elsewhere. 

Sincerely,
Bonnie Paton-Pietruch
Paton, Tainsh, McDougall, Fyfe, Livingstone / Scotland
McElmoyle, Hodge/Ireland
Whildin/Wales
Bond, James/England

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kinross Birth look-up Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 June 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
1841, at West Damside, Kinross:

Peter Paton "35", tailor
Agnes Paton "15"
Laurence Paton 9
Peter Paton 23 months

All born in Kinross-shire.

Laurence Paton and Margaret Cameron, Kinross-shire, had twins, Isabella and John Smith, born 24-3-1806, baptised 19-5-1806. Perhaps Peter's parents?

In 1851, at Lochgelly, Fife, in the household of John Izott, shoemaker:

Laurence Paton, 16, lodger, journeyman shoemaker, born Kinross-shire

In 1861, at Maygate, Dunfermline:

Lawrance Paton, 27, shoemaker, born Kinross-shire, with his wife, Janet and children, PETER, 6, Janet, 4, and Jane, 1

In 1871, Laurence seems to be a prisoner at Edinburgh.

Offline bpietruch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Kinross Birth look-up Please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 June 14 03:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick response, I have tried to connect this Peter Paton and my Alexander and have been unable to for lack of birth cert.  In 1851 I have this Peter in Dunfermline with another daughter Margaret and granddaughter Janet as well as son Peter.  Shortly after the census this Peter marries a Janet Manclark whose mother's name is Margaret Miller and they leave for Australia.  Laurence remains behind, Margaret also remains behind.

My gggrandfather's children are Catherine (wife's mother's name - deceased), Thomas (wife's father's name - living), Isabella Miller (is his mother's name really Isabella?) Alexander (his name), Peter(father's name - deceased), Robert and James.

I find Alexander in the 1861 census in dollar with a Henry Paton on a farm.  There is an Isabella Millar in Dollar in the household of Manclark from Dunfermline. 

My mystery continues...

Thank you,
Bonnie Paton-Pietruch
Paton, Tainsh, McDougall, Fyfe, Livingstone / Scotland
McElmoyle, Hodge/Ireland
Whildin/Wales
Bond, James/England