Author Topic: Marigold Cottage, Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth  (Read 1425 times)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marigold Cottage, Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
I'd like to find who owned, or lived in, Marigold Cottage in Newton Poppleford in the decades before the second world war. (Newton Pop is just outside Sidmouth.)

I've written to the local museum, but they don't have the resources to help me - and I live in the US.

Depending on the ownership of Marigold Cottage, I may be able to link two sizable but otherwise distinct branches of my family.

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marigold Cottage, Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 05:09 BST (UK) »
The Land Registry may be able to supply a copy of the Title Register see https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/  In the search box enter Marigold Cottage and Postcode EX10 ODU

Until the 1960's it was optional to register with the government department [later agency] The Land Registry although the facility began in the 1850's. There is no guarantee therefore that ownership before the 1960's is recorded thereon and you would have to take a chance ordering it.

There were a series of street directories published by proprietary companies typically Kelly's and some larger libraries may have copies but often a year or range of years may be missing and as the Museum does not have resources [such tasks are often the realm of volunteers] so that is probably not an option. A search of Electoral Registers may be an alternative especially as you have a suggested family name. Again these would be say at the Sidmouth Library[as distinct from the Museum] and it is just possible that the Library holds old copies of street directories. Many of our public services have had severe cuts in budgets including redundancies so in general you need to engage a researcher as they do not have staff resources to engage in family history searches but possibly an e mail would confirm whether they hold street directories or electoral rolls. The library is closed on Tuesdays and Sundays.
Sidmouth Library
Blackmore Drive
Sidmouth
Devon EX10 8LA
United Kingdom

Tel: 01395 512192 [on international calls start on 44 omit the 0 on 01395]
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera