Author Topic: James & Elizabeth Foulis' children  (Read 15327 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Elizabeth Foulis' children
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 January 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I didn't expect people to do so much.
I should've mentioned for people not to worry about George, James, Sarah and William. They all went to South Australia, and I have plenty of information on them.
All this is really interesting.
Can anyone find who was living at Noutland over all the censuses I have seen, 1841, 1851 and 1881. It was sometimes called Nutland.

Blake

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sacred to the memory of WILLIAM HOURIE who departed this life 18th Sept 1927 aged 22 years also his parents MARY FOULIS who died 21st April 1913 aged 75 years ROBERT HOURIE who died 5th March 1915 aged 77 years. Sweet is the promise I hear in the word blessed are they who have died in the Lord.

This isn't quite right. William HOURIE would've been 62 not 22.

Also no one seemed to find anything on John FOULIS, can anyone? He died before 1876 from what I could find

Blake

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 January 13 07:41 GMT (UK) »
according to the census info william would have been born approx 1866 ( all depends on who recorded the inscriptions not always easy to read ) ;)

john died 1866 deerness aged 24 ( scotlands people ) the last census i can find him  he is at langutter as a servant with the hepburn family aged 19

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 January 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Another  useful wee site fur ye,   http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/ORKNEY/2012-08

Skoosh.

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 January 13 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this guys.
I have just found Scotlands People and got some credits. I found Betsy (the mother) died in 1869. Yet I can't find when James (the father) died. He was in the 1851 census but I don't think he was in the 1861 census. However that leaves the gap before civil registration so there may be no records.

Blake

Offline LWatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 March 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Blake, Elizabeth Foulis (~1837-1906) was my 2nd Great Grandmother.  Another site that is free is;

https://familysearch.org/

Let me know if I can help....

L Watt

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 March 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
So that is Elizabeth Foulis who married David Ritch. What a small world it is. Her brother James is my 3rd great-grandfather so you would be something like my 4th cousin, once removed. Yes I use familysearch but I find it a bit limited with what records it has sometimes.
Do you know anything of Elizabeth's and James' parents, James and Elizabeth (Betsy)? I have a copy of Betsy's death certificate also of John Foulis, who died aged 24, the son of James and Betsy.

Blake

Offline LWatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Blake

Actually, I mis-typed - David Ritch is my 2nd great grandather and he married Elizabeth Foulis on July 27, 1865.  Unfortunately, I don't have any more information about Elizabeth Foulis Ritch and James Foulis' parents (Elizabeth and James), but I have an ancestry.ca membership so I will have a look and get back to you if I can find any census records for them. 
I was recently in Orkney and my cousin took me to see the Covenanter's Memorial in Deerness. During a family holiday in Orkney Fiona Sutherland (1968-) paid a visit to the memorial as it was partly built by her husband's (John Sutherland, my cousin) Great-Great Grandfather David Ritch (1843-1923). David was born in Deerness and was a mason by trade. At the time the memorial was built he was farming at Daisybank (28 acres- 10 arable). Daisybank is the ruined house on the left hand side of the track on the walk down to the memorial and is the house nearest the memorial. He died at Kitchen of Brecks in June 1923.
Have a look at http://www.robertwhitton.eu   Robert has a lot of valuable information about the Ritch line.

If I find anything about James and Elizabeth Foulis.

Take care,
L.

Offline nfoulis494

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello
A friend found this thread, and passed it on to me, as it might be interesting.

I grew up in Deerness, near a farm my Dad grew up on. (now known as Horraquoy)

I saw the name William, which I know was my grandfathers first name, (also my dads middle name) and wondered if it may run further back in the family.