Author Topic: Found in Manchester  (Read 19907 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found in Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 November 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Could you write to the Manchester Evening News with a copy of the photo, asking readers for information?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 November 12 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if it was a group of Manchester City Councillors at the Town Hall.  Looked on the Manchester Town Hall website though and the architecture of the current one (dating from the late 1870s) doesn't seem to match anything in the photo.  Nice panoramic views of the major rooms though.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 12 08:01 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting photograph.

Looking at the top of the wall the design looks uneven so I would think the group are in one half of a larger room. The carpet seems to confirm this as there are two large carpets on the floor.

Then there are the faces of the men. The man in the middle who looks like he is writing in a very large book looks older than the rest so perhaps he is the main man. There are also a lot of younger unbearded men on the edges at the front with a couple at the back to the right hand side which could suggest older and younger generations.

Did wonder if the men are members of a Bank  or some sort of Club. One man appears to be reading so perhaps not a formal photo especially as the men sitting on chairs are not in a symetrical position and there is the edge of a larger table to the right as well.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if its one of the meeting rooms inside the old Corn Exchange which was built in the 1820s.  I can't find an photo online of inside the building and of course its now a shopping center  ::)
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
It's to say the least a long shot but the mirror seems to reflect the view out of a window opposite where the men are seated. In it appears to be the apex of a building feature opposite the one they are in. Don't know if it's possible to tell any more from a closer scan/photo of the original.

S_L

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if it was Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society?  I can`t find anything though.

Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 November 12 22:52 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks like that kind of gathering, doesn't it, Mo?  But the glass on the table might indicate an election of some kind.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if it was Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society?  I can`t find anything though.

I think that is a very good suggestion. There is a photo of them here in 1865 in a very similar pose.  About a third of the way down the page here:
http://gerald-massey.org.uk/brierley/index.htm

I wonder if it is worth contacting the owner of the site.  He has lots of photos of members of the society who all look like grey haired bearded gentlemen - and some are very similar to the ones in the photo.  eg Benjamin Brierley, Samuel Laycock, Edwin Waugh.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 November 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
and another later on here c 1911 (at least I think it is - the site is on portuguese!)

http://dererummundi.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/cem-anos-de-nucleo-atomico.html

and some at Manchester Image Collection - this one c 1900
http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=51851&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=54861

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk