Author Topic: County Buildings? Thornliebank, Eastwood  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
County Buildings? Thornliebank, Eastwood
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
My father, his uncles and aunts and several other family members were either born, married or lived at the County Buildings, Thornliebank. My guess is these were some sort of tenement or other social housing? There is nothing I can find on this building online and a woman I spoke to some years ago through Giffnock Library felt sure they were actually known as something else and were most likely demolished in the 60s. Does anyone have any further info on them? Or pictures of the buildings?map of where they were? The rest of the family seem to have lived in the Main St or Harriet St at various times (Pollokshaws). Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Renfreshire -Port Glasgow - Purdie/Purden, McKirdy/McCurdie/McReady
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,
Linlithgow/New Kilpatrick/Milngavie - Dick, Edgar
Edinburgh/Leith/Milngavie/Stirling - John Reid
Belfast/County Derry/Magherafelt - Murray, McCormick, McCormack

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: County Buildings? Thornliebank, Eastwood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Irene, not the specific building you are looking for, but likely nearby perhaps? www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-87-unitas-building-2-12-main-street-thornlieban

So much building going on in the period you are looking at:

When the printworks closed in 1929, Thornliebank itself lost a major part of its identity. The Third Statistical Account of 1959 reports "the village is overshadowed by the large, gloomy, walled, semi-derelict print works on which the village of Thornliebank was once dependent". Despite this, the village continued to grow. By 1951, 75% of the houses in the village were built from 1926 onwards, almost one-third of them by the local authority. In the 1930's, 630 private houses were built by Mactaggart and Mickel. In the 1950's, the Woodfarm Housing Estate was built by the local authority. From 1971 to 1977, 107 sub-standard private houses were demolished (properties on Kennishead Road, North Park and Campsie Terraces). At the same time 114 new local authority houses and 5 new private houses were built. There was a change of emphasis from the private to the public sector, unusual in the context of the Eastwood District as whole at the time, where 90% of the houses were privately owned. 
www.portaltothepast.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3206

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica, have heard of this building before and I'm inclined to think it may have been part of the same row of tenements that used to be there (from what I've heard) but I'm pretty sure my county buildings were knocked down. Unfortunately I don't have the email from the Giffnock librarian that had that info on it anymore.
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how local you are to a local history library for the area...

A way forward would be perhaps to check the electoral rolls/valuation rolls for the relevant period. These would include more details linked to surnames that may help further.

Monica  :)

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I used to be local to the area but live up in Dundee now. Will keep googling and searching different avenues!

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this! May be helpful to anyone else wondering what the CBs were.
County Buildings, Thornliebank, Glasgow. This was a tenement in Thornliebank with 2 closes and 4 houses. It acquired its name as it was the only housing owned by Renfrew County Council. It was demolished before the second world war around 1937. The site is now roughly 93 Main Street, Thornliebank.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hurray  ;D  Well done Irene for finding that!

Monica