Author Topic: North Hill in Devon?  (Read 9723 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Hill in Devon?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at FindMyPast.  The image of baptism register that is LISTED as 1816 Plymouth is actually baptism of. Henry Creber, son of Henry and Mary, at Meavy.  So the search listing for plymouth on FindMyPast is wrong.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Creber married Robert Stewart in Scotland in 1878.
In 1891, the household is in Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
Her father is Henry Creber, aged 75, born in England, retired contractor.

Scottish death certificates give people's parents' names.

Lewtrenchard and Buckland Monachorum, Devon, where the family I have referred to lived, form a roughly equilateral triangle with North Hill, Cornwall, about 10 miles on each side, with Launceston between North Hill and Lewtrenchard. I don't think I would be surprised to see North Hill, part of the area around Launceston that comprises the border between Cornwall and Devon, referred to as being in Devon by the daughter (the informant?) of someone who died in Scotland 75+ years later, especially someone whose family may well have settled in Devon not long after he was born, and who then married and had children in various other places. I would also not be surprised if the person's mother's name was mistaken. Of course, the death certificate should also state the mother's surname, if the death was in Scotland, or New South Wales, or Ontario ...

That Henry Creber died in 1891 in Scotland, I believe. In 1881 he is shown at Anc'y as Henry Crebar, born in England about 1816, in Barrhead, Renfrewshire. He and his son-in-law Robert Bromfield Stewart are both contractors. In 1851, the family may be in Finchley, recorded as Crever, Henry's place of birth given only as Devon. That Henry married Jane Titchener in Berkshire in 1841.

Am I getting warm?

(thanks cocksie for that lookup)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 03:11 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has interesting marriage
John Creber and Mary Withycombe 20 jan 1810 Tavistock.
A lot of baptisms to this couple in Northhill
And tying into the census info other chatterers have already found.

DC info only as good as informant's knowledge .....ie Ann Withicombe as listed as mother quite possibly really Mary
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
An enormous tree at mundia.com has Henry Creber 1816 married to Jane Titchener in 1841 but shows no other details.

The John Creber who was in Devon in 1841 is also in a big tree: born 1756 in Marytavy, son of John and Ann, married 1815 in Tavistock to Mary Ann Dinner, died 1845. No son Henry shown, but out of sight out of mind is the rule in family trees, as anyone whose ancestors, like mine, left the ancestral haunts before living memory can tell you. That John did have a brother Henry. And his eldest daughter Elizabeth -- the one shown in the census as born North Hill, Devon -- is shown in the tree as born in North Hill, Cornwall, 1818 (although it was 1817).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I forgot about that Withycombe marriage that was mentioned. The tree at Mundia shows the marriage to Mary Ann Dinner as 1815 Tavistock (no documentation).

That tree is owned by one of the two people who corrected the surname in the 1841 census at Ancestry.

-edit-

and losing the thread, I also forgot to remember that deebel did give us, in a reply,

"Mother Anne (nee Withercomb)"

So there we do have it.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Just adding to Cornwall/Devon possibilities - the children of my ancestors in 1800s regularly listed parents as being born or living at a Cornish parish/town and listed Devonshire as well OR sometimes listed parents birthplace such as "Tavistock, Cornwall Devonshire".  No doubt they were working from memory or guesswork or just plain confused many years later.

Cocksie

Adding
Without having further info I'm thinking OP should be looking at baptisms in North Hill as listed at the Cornwall online parish clerk website with parents John & Mary (nee Withycombe) - no Henry but there is an Elizabeth (as another chatterer has already listed), Sarah, William, marianne etc.
And family then heads elsewhere.

Out of interest what death date do we have for Henry? Can't see it on this thread

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 03:48 GMT (UK) »
And re the enormous Mundia tree and some of the names listed.....
The only marriage that I can find in Tavistock for a Mary Ann Diner in 1815 is to a John Culm
But perhaps the transcription is incorrect and tree owner has viewed the actual register?

Cocksie

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 04:48 GMT (UK) »
We don't have a death date. All we were given was an initial, surname, and "North Hill, Devon".

When I am asking for help with something, I give all the info that is likely to be relevant, myself. And if I for some reason neglected to do that, and was asked for it, I would offer it up immediately. Divining the answer to this question without that information would have taken a crystal ball.

The name, for starters. The age and place of death ... which, if my deductions are correct, are the most relevant things in the whole tale: the individual died many many miles (with even more intervening locations) and many many years from "home".

I don't think there's much doubt that North Hill, Cornwall, the very first suggestion in the thread, is the place in question!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again  :)

Amazing what we can do with a bit of info - I checked the OP's previous postings and find a fair proportion are on Scottish boards.

I've just had a look on Scotland's People and find this death, which matches:

Ardrossan, Ayrshire
Henry Creber, Retired Waterworks Contactor, widower of Jane Tichner, aged 76. Died at 6 a.m. July 8th 1891 at Bayview Cottage, Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats.
Parents - JohnCreber, farmer, dec. and Ann, m.s. Withercomb, dec.
Cause - Anurism, 7 months, Dropsy and Debility, 3 mths. As Certified by Robt S. Kinner, Surgeon.
Informant - Walter Creber, son. Gorbals Waterworks, Barrhead.

Maybe the Scottish censuses might give more info.

Gadget.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***