Author Topic: Who was Harriet Emily, wife of Joseph Holroyd?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Harriet Emily, wife of Joseph Holroyd?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Charles & Harriet had with them in Leeds in 1881 a Winifred A Quinn, 14, niece, b Wolverhampton.

I see that she was Winifred Agnes, and from the 1871 that she was one of the children of the widowed Mary Quinn who was then in Wolverhampton.  RG10/2936/52/2.
That's correct. Following the death of her husband James Quinn, Mary became the housekeeper of Robert Jackson & his family in Little Berry Street in Wolverhampton where she & her children lived too. The last census that I was able to find Mary Quinn in was her 1871 entry in Wolverhampton as housekeeper to the Jackson family. There was no sign of Mary in the 1881 census & I found that her son Francis had joined the army, son Oliver had moved to Birmingham where he married, & Winnifred Agnes was living with her Aunt Harriet Pool in Leeds. Mary's daughter Mary Gertrude & her son Leonard James had died of small pox whilst living in the Jackson home in Wolverhampton.
I have never been able to find a death entry about which I can be certain for Mary Quinn but believe that she possibly died in the Stockport Workhouse in 1879.
Mary's employer, Robert Jackson,  died in 1877 which would have meant that Mary & her offspring would have to move on.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
I'm a little unclear on the dates of some of the events in the original post.

When did James Quinn die (perhaps Dec qtr 1869 Wolverhampton aged 35??), and has Mary been traced after 1871?

I'd have thought the most likely hypothesis to be investigated would be that Harriet Emily was born to Mary Quinn, but Mary perhaps not being in a good position entrusted the child to her (apparently childless?) sister Harriet Pool to bring up.  Or - Mary died?
James Quinn died on 11th October 1869 aged 35.  Following this Mary & her children lived in Little Berry Strret & their 1871 census shows them in the home of Robert Jackson to whom Mary was keeper to him & his family.
That's the last census I have been able to find for Mary Quinn.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to read my long enquiry & for trying to help me, I appreciate it very much.