Author Topic: Anyone going to Sheffield Archives?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone going to Sheffield Archives?
« on: Friday 24 October 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Anyone going to Sheffield Archives could you do a lookup for me please for a marriage at Woodhouse Mill in the December 1/4 of 1904:-
Thomas John Dannatt born c 1883, father Thomas John Dannatt and
Caroline Cook Weston born c 1887 in Kennington, London.
Thanks a million
Liz

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Sheffield Archives?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
This parish of Handsworth incorporating Woodhouse Mill appear to be one of the very few not held at Sheffield Archives but incumbent held at the Church itself in Handsworth.

You could try to write to the Vicar or Churchwarden but being as late a 1904 (or post July 1837 {Sept qtr]) and cost of copying, postage etc,---it is likely they will tell you to buy the marriage certificate from the GRO BMD's or local register office who cover Handsworth BMD's

Sods law! I'm afraid

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Handsworth/Handsworth68.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/CBW/WRY/Handsworth.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for any trouble I have put you to.  I had looked on the Archives site and found a reference PR111 m for St James. Woodhouse Mill.  As my Dannatts lived there I had hoped that that was where they married, perhaps I should have included the reference on my original request.
Liz

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
No Trouble

Its seems Genuki have the wrong info on where abouts of these PRs.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
From his Army Records, Thomas and Caroline were  married 10 October 1904 at Sheffield Register Office.

Children:

Carrie 26/10/07 Sheffield
Walter 13/12/08 Sheffield
William Henry 29/1/1911 Chesterfield
George 17/1/14 Chesterfield Died 4 /3/1915

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, obviously wouldn't have found that one at St James.  Didn't know about the army records, on the 1901 census he is a coal miner pony driver age 17, on 1911 he is a coal miner age 27. Can you give me anymore info on the army records?
Are you related to the family in any way?
Liz

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

No relation - just helping a fellow Rootschatter.  Thomas's Army Records are available online, there's about 18 pages, including a copy of the death certificate of his youngest son George. Yes he was a coal miner.   In brief, he joined Yorks & Lanc Regiment  in June 1901 - 1904. He was a reserve 1904 - June 1913. Back as a reserve Sept 1913.  He was in France Feb - May 1915. Discharged 31 July 1916 (physically unfit). 

Goughy

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 October 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
This appears to confirm what I was told by my auntie when I started researching the family history, she told me he had been hit in the leg by a bullet, but she wasn't sure whether it was WW1 or not.  He went on to have two further sons after Georges death - and a further four daughters, I was quite young when he died in 1952 but I remember Aunt Carrie, she died 1959.
Thanks for all your help.
Liz

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome. 

Just to confirm for you, his army records show he had a gun shot wound to his right thigh whilst in France on 27 April 1915.