Author Topic: HASSETT - Ireland to USA 1849  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HASSETT - Ireland to USA 1849
« on: Sunday 22 January 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new and love your boards, but am having trouble figuring out where to post for Ireland when I don't know the county.  The link says unknown county but takes you to a board where county name must be know.  ANYWHOO -

John Hassett b. 1806 m. Catharine Battersby (or Batterby) b. 1800
Children: Ellen Hassett b. 1840 Ireland
Mary b. 1841 Ireland
John Jr. b. 1843 Ireland
Catherine b. 1847 Ireland

Emigrated from Dublin, Ireland to the USA on barque HUMA, arriving in the US March 26, 1849.
Catherine died 3 days prior to arrival.  Emigration records spell name Hasset.

I'm looking for information on the family.  I'd like to know what county they were from, proof mother Catharine Battersby/Batterby was Irish not English, her parents names, etc.  Wonder whether they had been in work houses.

Also wondering whether Catharine Batterby was children's mother - her age was 40-47 when the children were born.  I'm wondering whether their mother died or otherwise and Catharine Batterby was a second wife.  Catharine is 6 years older than John Hassett. 

At http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3cb3710164513 I find a baptism in 1804 of "Catha[rine] Battersby" at St Andrew's Church, Dublin (RC) Father: Guli[llimus] (i.e. William) Battersby Mother: Catha[rine] .  Unknown whether this is the correct family.

Family was Roman-Catholic - buried in Roman-Catholic Cemetery in New York State, USA.

Mary Hassett Moore is my 2nd great-grandmother.  I do have a picture of her in later life.  She is the only one of the 4 children to marry and have children, hence the Hassett name does not carry on via this branch of the family.  I do not find evidence that John Jr., a Civil War veteran, married or had children.

moved to Ireland-General board

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: HASSETT - Ireland to USA 1849
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat

The Irish general Board is here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html You have to scroll down past all the counties, and then you will see where you can post.

Have you tried this site? http://www.rootsireland.ie/

I did a quick search for the names of the children, and several counties show up, like Tipperary, Limerick etc...with father as John...but to view the actual record is €5.00 per record.  A bit steep if you don't have a lot of detail.

tracing Irish ancestors is very hard...so I do wish you a lot of luck :)
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms of a Mary 1839 and a Catherine 1847 to parents of those names in Clonmellon RC parish, which spans the border of Meath and Westmeath.  They are in both counties' sections of www.rootsireland.ie.

In the same parish is a marriage of Catherine Battersby and John Hassen in 1835 and baptism of an Eleanor Hassan (ending "an" this time) to that couple.  Given the name combination wouldn't be common, the timings and all in 1 parish there's a very good chance it's all the one family.  The Hassan record could be a mistranscription of Hasset. Would be interesting to see the original but www.nli.ie hasnt put these parish register images online yet even though they were planning to.

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 July 14 07:03 BST (UK) »
John- A huge thanks for that information.  We are further researching to see if it's our family.  A woman in Clonmellon saw a post by me on Facebook and is waiting for an appointment at the parish after they get back from vacation.   I am of the belief they lived in County Westmeath (there was a Batterby gentleman in their county in NY, USA whose obituary stated that he was born in County Westmeath).  Is there any chance you could tell me where the information came from?  Kind Regards.