Author Topic: Death in childbirth - baby records  (Read 3114 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death in childbirth - baby records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 February 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Nettie

I whole heartedly agree with you !

Tara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 February 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Also agree, I've found two cousins and fingers crossed soon a third and also an uncle of my mother's three died shortly after birth and the uncle as a two year old, for us they are the most prescious finds.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 February 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Like the others I have found two great uncles buried in my great grandfather's grave. They died as young boys on the same day in 1856. It took some years to find a newspaper account of a fire in the house where three unnamed boys died, my two great uncles and a cousin of theirs. I am still trying to find who the cousin was.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 February 14 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Kingskerswell, how tragic! I do hope you find the cousin. It will complete the story on a sad, sad event.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 February 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Got the Certs today, didn't find the cousin yet but found the uncle. He died age 1 year and 9 months of Facial Erysipelas a very painful bacterial infection easily treated today with antibiotics. At least now he has a name on the tree and is no longer listed as Unknown. We will remember him at the Cemetery Mass this year.

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Such a terrible way for anyone to die, let alone a toddler, Sinann. I do hope you find the cousin too.
Spillane - Milltown

Offline gluxobaby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettie

I know it's a few months since you posted but I'm researching infant deaths and hope I can help you.

It was really common for babies to buried with their mothers and if stillborn there would be no record of their birth/death.  This only happened from 1995 with the introduction of the Stillbirth Register.  Before this, stillbirths were only reportable to the county medical officer - and even at that only from 1957. 

However, stillborns or infants that were buried in larger cemeteries such as Deansgrange, would be recorded on the internments register.  Very often, these children were not named but what is common on the burial registers is the surname (of the father if married, or mother if not married) and if a stillbirth this is noted as S/B or Stillbirth - premature births are recorded as P/B or Premature.  It is also common to see 'female infant' or 'male stillbirth' as connotations.

As you have a date of death, from the baby's mother, it should be possible to check the burial register and get the grave reference.  Deansgrange records are available on microfilm in the Pearse St Dublin City Archives.  I'm going in there in the next couple of days to do some research, if you have the date of death, I could check for you, if you are not in Dublin.

Hope you get this message!

Gluxo

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 14 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gluxo,
What interesting, yet heartbreaking, research you are doing.

Thank you for your offer, however, Helena Tyrrell (mother) died Sept 27 1949 and is buried at Mt Jerome. My mother remembers the baby being buried in the same coffin at its mother's feet. I was intending to do a register search at Mt Jerome but am low on money for this at the moment. If you ever have the chance to check their registers though, I would appreciate it.
Spillane - Milltown