Author Topic: orphanage.inverness.scotland.1890  (Read 46767 times)

Offline moihod

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: orphanage.inverness.scotland.1890
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 07 February 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mum and her 3 sisters were refugees from Berlin who lived in the Highland Orphange from 1939 until about 1947 with the exception of their youngest sister Dagmar Liebmann who was  only 6months old when she came to the orphange amd was raised by Matron (Mrs Ritchie) as  almost her own.  My mum's name is Eleanore, and my two other aunts were called Faye and Ursula Liebmann. The girls have been tight lipped for most of their lives about their experinces in the orphange and now with age they struggle to remember.  Mum does remember Hector Chisholm, Sheila, Molly and Flora MacDonald.  Any further insights into their earlier lives would great to hear.

Many thanks
Moira Hodges.

Offline Susan B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 10 January 11 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I know that no one has been on here
Hi my mum and her 3 sisters were refugees from Berlin who lived in the Highland Orphange from 1939 until about 1947 with the exception of their youngest sister Dagmar Liebmann who was only 6months old when she came to the orphange amd was raised by Matron (Mrs Ritchie) as almost her own. My mum's name is Eleanore, and my two other aunts were called Faye and Ursula Liebmann. The girls have been tight lipped for most of their lives about their experinces in the orphange and now with age they struggle to remember. Mum does remember Hector Chisholm, Sheila, Molly and Flora MacDonald. Any further insights into their earlier lives would great to hear.

Many thanks
Moira Hodges.
[/quo

Offline Susan B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 10 January 11 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mum and her 3 sisters were refugees from Berlin who lived in the Highland Orphange from 1939 until about 1947 with the exception of their youngest sister Dagmar Liebmann who was only 6months old when she came to the orphange amd was raised by Matron (Mrs Ritchie) as almost her own. My mum's name is Eleanore, and my two other aunts were called Faye and Ursula Liebmann. The girls have been tight lipped for most of their lives about their experinces in the orphange and now with age they struggle to remember. Mum does remember Hector Chisholm, Sheila, Molly and Flora MacDonald. Any further insights into their earlier lives would great to hear.

Many thanks
Moira Hod

This is almost a year old I wished I had found it sooner. Actually my mom showed it to me today. She was at the orphanage from 1939-1952 and talks of the Liebman girls all the time. In fact I found a picture of her and Mrs. Ritchie and the girls a year ago in my Grandma's old photos. and Dagmar and her beautiful blond hair stands out so strong in the picture. They are all so cute. The "stories" not so cute. My mom still suffers from that place. Her mother took her back in 1952 in order to move to the United States . She was Jessie MacLennan then....she changed her name to Jenny and her married last name is Huth (yes she married a German). She can and would be willing to share all she knows of the place.
Susan Huth-Beckley

Offline Sophiema7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 02 September 13 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My name is Sophie, I was wondering if any of you could help me i  have a great uncle who came to live in this orphanage when he was 2 years old in 1901 his name was William Robertson -  his sister was also placed here, but  have since lost all trace of him after he left there ( also trying to find his full name  which has turned up some dead ends too)

Offline Borderless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: orphanage.inverness.scotland.1890 mackay & morrison post 2008!
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 13 July 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Just found Maia261 looking for mackay morrison am connected to that tree via mackay just this minute joined this site as am off to caithness to find out more about my history hpoe you can reply to me. First stopover may be inverness! Found your post y mere chance as I was looking for morrisons stores! Hope to hear from you.
Borderless

Gadget
[/quote]

Offline stevieanderson67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 21 December 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

this is my first post to rootsweb though I have been looking at my family history on and off for quite a while now (not in any structured or methodical way of course! :D) I wanted to thank folk here for this brilliant discussion as it has given me an insight into some background information on my Anderson family roots. My name is Stephen Anderson, I live in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland and the James Anderson b. 1801 referred to earlier in the discussion, as well as other Andersons are all my relatives.

Catherine Anderson is my second great grand aunt, while her father James is my great great great grandfather, through his son Andrew, then William, then Andrew, my father Donald, then me, and my son James!

If anyone has any further information I'd be so thrilled to hear from you.

Stevie Anderson