Author Topic: The Fairbrother Family  (Read 6128 times)

Offline poppy-pepe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Fairbrother Family
« on: Thursday 24 March 11 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

This is my first time at this and i'm wondering if anyone out there is researching the Fairbrother family from the Shardlow and New Lenton areas

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Fairbrother Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Shardlow was Derbyshire until 1974 and the 1911 index shows 3 pages of entries in Shardlow for that surname.

You need to give more specific info as to which particular Fairbrother family/families you are researching - names/birthyears etc

Please do not post details of any person who could still be living

Lenton was Nottinghamshire so if you have a different Fairbrother family in the Derbyshire area - you will need to post a request on the Derbyshire board with their details

If it is all the same family - please do not post a further request as it can lead to duplication of efforts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline poppy-pepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

My apologies

I believe the Fairbrothers i would lie to know more about were quite often Boatmen, possibly living in boat villages at various places and therefore lsited in Derby, Leicester, and Nottingham during varuious phases of their lives - there are also many gaps

I belive my gg grandfather was Abraham Fairbrother born c. 1849 in Castle Donnington who married a Sarah Stevenson who was born c. 1849 in Sawley Derbyshire.
They had a son Frank born c. 1875 in Lenton as well as another son Henry born c. 1877 also in Lenton.
They also had a son Abraham born c. 1891 who unfortunately died the same year but i dont know where he was born

I believe Henry went on to become a coal merchant but more than this i would like some help with please if anyone is able to offer any

I have heard that Frank may have served in the Boar war befor eemigrating to Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
No problem - here's the 1851 census for Sawley Derbyshire

John Fairbrother 31 boatman b Castle Donnington
Hannah   24 Wymswold Leicestershire
James  4 b Castle Donnington
Abraham 2 b Castle Donnington
Enoch  4 months b Sawley
HO107 Piece 2141 Folio 22 Page 19
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:34 GMT (UK) »
By 1861 - John appears to have died (perhaps not - see below) and Hannah is shown as the wife of  Edward Bradshaw.  Apart from Edward - all others are shown as surname Fairbrother - including Hannah

1861 for Sawley - all born there except were shown otherwise

Edward Bradshaw 54 shoe maker (he was 48 and married to Ann in 1851)
Hannah Fairbrother 35 b Wymswold Leics
Abraham  12 b Castle Donnington
Enoch 10
George   8
Thomas   6
Herbert   4
Henry 2
Mary J 5 Months
RG9 Piece 2491 Folio 115 Page 15

No marriage on freebmd - Mary Jane's birth is registered as Fairbrother

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
1871 for Sawley - indexed as Farebro.  All b Sawley except Hannah

Hannah Fairbrother 45 widow b Leics Wymswold
John 18
Thomas   15
Herbert   14
Henry 12
Mary J   10
Elizabeth 7
Mary   3
Sarah 1
RG10 Piece 3555 Folio 95 Page 13

Edward Bradshaw 61 b Sawley - widower - occ shoemaker is still living (alone)  in Sawley in 1871 

Offline Susan F

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 June 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Are you still researching Abraham Fairbrother? I'm part of the Canadian line and have been trying to find information on his parents.... I have 2 conflicting sources.... one listing a Lammas Fairbrother and the other John Fairbrother

Offline poppy-pepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
Yes I am still researching the Fairbrother family, not as much as I would like i'm afraid, work gets in the way mostly.

There are many trails for the Fairbrothers so It is quite easy to wander off along the wrong track but if you're researching the same branch as me, I have Abraham Fairbrother born in Castle Donnington in the county of Leicestershire, circa 1849. Abraham was married to Sarah Stevenson circa 1849 - 1907. He was the son of John Fairbrother (My great great great grandfather), who was also born Castle Donnington, 24th March 1820 and married Hannah Cliff who was born in Wymeswold (Possibly spelt Wimeswold), Leicestershire, circa 1827.

If we are on the same branch / tree, I have much more information that preceeds the above information I could share with you - it would just take me some time to collate it all and send it your way.

Just out of curiosity, what side of the Canadian branch are you from, do you know Nancy Bennet at all or Duke Fairbrother. They are from the Vancouver district and my wife and I are due to arrive in Vancouver on 05th September this year when we'll be viviting distant relatives on Vancouver Island fpor the first time ever before driving across the Rockies to Calgary and High River.
If you're from that region, we could maybe arrange to meet up and discuss things further.

Good luck and kind regards
Cliff Fairbrother