Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME FIND MARY ANN WHARMBY  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP ME FIND MARY ANN WHARMBY
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 July 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know how you were getting on.....and pleased you managed to get Mary Ann Wharmby's birth certificate.

It is interesting that her mother was Ann Thorpe. The only marriage that I can find is an Ann Thorpe marrying an Alfred Wharmby.

I have traced a few Sutton in Ashfield Wharmby's in the past, as one married into one of our Straw lines, but at the moment I don't think the families have a link to yours.

So; it just happens I have seen this marriage hence the transcription and the name definitely said Alfred.

Marriage at St Mary Magdalene, Sutton in Ashfield - 28th Dec 1863 - after banns.
Alfred WHARMSBY, aged 21, bachelor, occupation = G??er?, abode Sutton.
Father = William Wharmby, FWK.
Ann THORPE, aged 18, spinster, occupation = Factory, abode Sutton.
Father = James Thorpe, cottager.
Both X
In the presence of: Arthur Creswell & Jane Clarke X.
~ ~ ~

I am sure there are a few of us on here that would be willing to help re resources etc.  :)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:03 BST (UK) »

This GRO entry for the Wharmsby to Thorpe marriage has a postem added, they also think this is Abraham Wharmby.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/018uh/

You didn't say what you are hoping for re Sarah Edleston Else/Plant/ Wharmby?

But here is a start.... :)

Marriage at St Mary, Guildford, Surrey. - 19th July 1864 - after banns.
Benjamin PLANT, aged 27, bachelor, Private in 13th Hussars, residence at time of marriage St Mary's.
Father = Benjamin Plant, Brass Moulder
Sarah Eddlaston ELSE,  aged 28, spinster, - - , residence at time of marriage St Mary's.
Father = William ELSE, Shoemaker.
Both sign (Sarah signs Sarah Edlastone Else)
In the presence of: Samuel Richardson & Jane Rogers.
~ ~ ~

NOTE: The 13th Hussars (previously the 13th Light Dragoons) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army.
I don't know what became of Benjamin Plant - maybe a new post on the armed forces board might shed light where the regiment was serving in the relevant years, in case died whilst still serving in the army?

Sarah & Benjamin Plant's daughter was born in Sutton in Ashfield.

Baptism at St Mary, Sutton in Ashfield.
MARIA PLANT - born 29 Dec 1865, baptism 25 Feb 1866 - parents:  Benjamin & Sarah - fathers occupation 13th Hussars.

Sarah & daughter Maria Plant are on High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield in 1871 - RG10/Piece 3468/Folio 66/Page 30.

Maria Plant is here in 1881 =
14, Mapperley Road, Nottingham St Mary, Nottingham -RG11 /Piece 3353/Folio 141/Page 23
1891 = Clarendon Street, Holy Trinity and St Mary, Hull, Yorkshire. - RG12 /Piece 3938 /Folio 12 /Page18

I couldn't spot Maria Plant after 1891...  :'(

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
Sarah Eddleston ELSE was a Sutton in Ashfield girl:

Baptism - St Mary Magdalene - 1st Nov 1835
Sarah Elston ELSE - parents William & Sarah Else - fathers occupation: Cordwainer.

Deaths Jun 1909   
WHARMBY  Sarah Eddelston - aged 73 - Mansfield  7b 68

Abraham Wakefield Wharmby was buried at Sutton, 19th June 1893, aged 49, abode Quarry Yd.
It seems likely Sarah was also buried in the churchyard section as neither appear in the Sutton in Ashfield, Cemetery index - the cemetery opened in 1892.

Do you want the information on Sarah in 1841/51 & 1861 ? which is another saga. :D

Offline Memmyloo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Dizzifsh

I'd love the info, It is so interesting and addictive when you start getting deeper involved.

Sarah married Abraham after Ann Wharmby dies but on Ann's DC she was listed as living at High Pavement and also Sarah Plant was the informant who was also listed as living at High Pavement, so I wondered if they were neighbours or living in the same house? Maybe Benjamin died and Ann dies so they married ??

Thanks so much, keep it coming!! lol xx

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
If I give you just the census piece and folio numbers, I am assuming you have access to census so you can follow it? - just to save me typing it all up?

I have to go out soon so will let you have it when I get back.

Sheila  :)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
It is almost certain that Abraham & Sarah would have known each other, High Pavement, Reform Street and Quarry Yard.... the streets linked to this family are very close together.

http://sutton-in-ashfield.streetmapof.co.uk/quarry-yard/

Offline Memmyloo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Yes,

Anything I have access and can look up so yes that would be great.

I'm so grateful, thank you 

Emmy :)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
1841 = HO107/Piece 861/Book 5/Folio 11/Page 15 - Wrights Yard, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
Sarah Else is with her parents William & Sarah + siblings and also Jos & Mary Betts.

I think the mother Sarah Else has died by the 1851 census and the children have split up.....

Burial St Mary Magdalene -  24th March 1847 - Sarah ELSE - aged 36 - abode Sutton in Ashfield.   

I am not sure what happened to William Else.

William & Sarah Else' eldest daughter is looking after her youngest brother & sister...
1851 = HO107/Piece2123/Folio 458/Page 22 - 434, Swan Street, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.

Sarah E Else is a servant in the house of Elizabeth Slater, one of the other servants is an Elizabeth Eddleston born abt 1815 and also born Sutton in Ashfield.
1851 = HO107/Piece 2133/Folio 205/ Page 21 - Middle Pavement, St Peter, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Catherine Else is here in 1851 =  (FindMyPast have transcribed her as Collins but the image is Catherine Else)
1851 - HO107/Piece2132/Folio162/ Page17 - 78, York Street, St Mary, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Grace is here in 1851 = HO107 Piece 2129/ Folio 189 /Page 9 - George Street, Radford, Nottinghamshire.

My internet has been down until half an hour ago.... :'(

I will post more tomorrow on how I think the Eddleston name fits in Sarah Else's name.  :)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 July 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmy, :)

It has taken me a while get back to this, every time I tried, something else cropped up!

I hope you can follow it and I haven't made it too confusing. I had an extra interest as our 3 X Great Grandmother was nee Betts and was buried in Sutton in Ashfield in 1853.

You might find it of interest and any Eddleston researchers that might come across the post  :D

Sarah Elston (Eddleston) ELSE was baptised in Sutton Ashfield - 1st Nov 1835

Her parents were William ELSE who married Sarah BETTS at Alfreton, Derbyshire - 4th Feb 1828, the witnesses were: William Betts & Ann Wass.

The only census that Sarah and her family are together is on the 1841 census.
HO107/Piece 861/Book 5/Folio 11/Page 15 - Wrights Yd, Sutton in Ashfield.

I think the family were apart in later census because the had mother died.

Burial at St Mary Magdalene, Sutton in Ashfield.
24th March 1847 - Sarah ELSE, aged 36 yrs, abode Sutton.

I haven't been able to discover what happened to William Else, to even begin to narrow it down who he might belong to, there are a few possible William's born around the right time in Sutton.... but the question is, which one?

I already mentioned in reply #25 that Sarah E ELSE was a servant with an Elizabeth Eddleston.

And this is how I think Sarah ELSE got her middle name.........

Sarah's mother was Sarah BETTS, her parents were Francis Betts & Sally/Sarah (on three of her children's baptisms she is Sarah & seven as Sally) if you take Nottinghamshire FHS transcript or Phillimores she is Sally Ecclestone....  I have seen this parish entry on microfiche and it is very feint and the writing is poor. The brides name which the curate (Thos Hurt) wrote, does look like Ecclestone but Sally's signature does look to me like Eddlestone.

Marriage Sutton in Ashfield - 11th Jan 1796 - by banns - Thomas Hurt, curate.
Francis BETTS & Sally Ecclestone/Eddlestone - presence of: Samuel Chambers & John Wright.

Francis Betts was buried at Sutton 14th March 1813, aged 43. - abode Sutton.
Sarah Betts was buried at Sutton 7th May 1820, aged 44, widow of Francis - abode Sutton.

Francis & Sally Betts had nine children....... the youngest two were Sarah bapt 7th Jan 1810 & Joseph bapt 21st March 1813.

The 1841 census I mentioned with William & Sarah Else (nee Betts) also has her brother Joseph Betts with them.

I can't find a baptism for Sally/Sarah as Ecclestone or Eddlestone that is convincing to help matters.