Author Topic: Can anyone decipher and translate old Latin/German?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Brando234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone decipher and translate old Latin/German?
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
I have 2 old family documents that I believe are in Latin & German which I don't understand. One is a birth certificate from 1853, the other looks like a newspaper clipping or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welter: Luxembourg - Tiffin, OH - Chicago, IL
Braun: Luxembourg - Illinois
Kelly: Galway - Chicago, IL
Foster: County Clare - Chicago, IL
Williams: Wales - Ireland - Canada - Chicago, IL

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone decipher and translate old German?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brando234  :)

Your first document is written in Latin, not German  ;)

I will move this post to the Deciphering and Recognition board, and also put a message on the Europe board to lure any German speakers over to have a look at your news clipping.

Cheers
Prue

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone decipher and translate old Latin/German?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
The Latin is an extract from the Record of Baptisms from the Parish of Heffingen in the Diocese of Luxembourg.
It records the baptism on 9 September 1853 at 3pm of Elisabeth Braun, legitimate daughter of Nikolaus Braun and Elisabeth Beinert married in Heffingen. Witnesses were Nikolaus Elsen of Niedermezzig and Elisabeth ?Biwers of Heffingen.

The newspaper clipping - probably from a German-language newspaper in the USA? - is headed "The Murderer Is Known To Them" [i.e. to the police], and reports that the local police (where?) now know the identity and even have a photo of the man who murdered grocer Peter Braun. The murderer is not named in the article, but he shot and killed another man during a robbery in Texas in April of the previous year. The murderer's whereabouts are still unknown, but the police forces of the entire country are seeking him.

Adrian

Offline Brando234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone decipher and translate old Latin/German?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 April 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Adrian,

Thank you so much, we've had these documents for a while but never knew what they said. There definitely was some info in that newspaper clipping that we never new about, my GGG Uncle Peter Braun owned a grocery store with his brother frank in Chicago, he was murdered in a hold up by two men in 1897. One of the robbers not only murdered Peter Braun but accidentally killed his own partner in the hold up, as far as we new the Chicago Police had no leads.
Welter: Luxembourg - Tiffin, OH - Chicago, IL
Braun: Luxembourg - Illinois
Kelly: Galway - Chicago, IL
Foster: County Clare - Chicago, IL
Williams: Wales - Ireland - Canada - Chicago, IL

Offline danielnolan99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aha! Re: Can anyone decipher and translate old Latin/German?
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on an in-law's family tree, and the BC you have is Elizabeth (Braun) Welter's. Her parents were Nicolaus Braun and Elisabeth Reinert. This all is information that we already had, and it is verified by the BC.

Would you like to see a picture or her?

Thanks!

Dan