Author Topic: Address in Wentworth Parish, Yorks-COMPLETED  (Read 516 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address in Wentworth Parish, Yorks-COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble deciphering the address on the 1849 birth certificate for my great grandfather.

I'm fine with "Twentyfirst September 1849" and " Thornwell Hill Parish of Wentworth" but what's in between?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Wentworth Parish, Yorks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 05:12 GMT (UK) »
4 A M

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes - 4 AM.  Just a thought -could the child have been a twin?  Time of birth was more frequently mentioned on the birth cert of twins

Kay

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Wentworth Parish, Yorks-COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes!  I was trying to work out a street address!  :)

I haven't seen a time before on a BC.  I don't think there was a twin.  There's none listed on Free BMD births, nor in the 1851 Census.  There's also no relevant deaths in Free BMD for Rotherham.

Well done both of you!
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline s02155

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 23 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I know this post is incredibly old, but I ran across it with google looking for Thornwell Hill, and there is a dearth of information about this place I am afraid (or at least that I have been able to find). My ancestors lived in this area in this same time period as mentioned by the original poster. I am wondering if they or someone might be able to provide information about this area or point me to some references I can find online (I am located in the U.S.). Very interested in any information about this area as well as who lived there contemporaneously.

For instance, are the structures there now the same as they were then, or partially? Did they all live together in one large building separated like apartments? Did they work in the same area (i.e. did they have their workshop on premises)? Or did they live here and work in nearby Thorpe Hesley or some other place? What was life like back then in this area beyond the obvious maybe (I know VERY little about England and living during that time period)? Etc....

Thank you and have a blessed day!

Susan

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to remove "Completed" from the heading as this is a "new" enquiry but I nearly didn't look at it.  Perhaps it needs moving to Yorkshire-West Riding. 
Thornwell looks like an isolated small farmstead, probably one family with farm servants (usually young men) and 1 or 2 house servants.  There is a map of about 1850 here:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.0&lat=53.46571&lon=-1.43505&layers=257&b=1
Unfortunately a piece missing but there are later editions on the website.
Try looking at the 1851 census, which will be under Wentworth township, Wath upon Dearne parish for this house, but there are some chopped up boundaries around Thorpe Hesley.
Other small-scale industries were coal and ironstone mining, note the mineral tramway to the SW of the village.

Offline s02155

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the reply and the link to the map! That is incredibly fascinating about the mineral tramway! I'm very curious about what the dotted-dashed lines mean (also the notations R.H., C.R., Und., etc).

So I am wondering now if maybe they lived in a different place from these farm buildings. The 1851 census appears to say "Thornwell Hill" for the street/road but it has multiple families with that same location and the script is difficult for me to make out--maybe I'm wrong? At the top of the census page it is in the Township of Wentworth and Ecclesiastical District of Thorpe Hesley. My ancestors would not have been wealthy enough to have servants, and they were not farmers or servants themselves--they were nailers. If you or anyone is able to look, you might have a better idea of what it is actually saying. From ancestry, it is Yorkshire/Wentworth/1A (page 8 marked on top right corner of census, but page 9 on ancestry navigation window)

Unfortunately, I am completely uneducated about political boundaries in England, but if you suggest I move to the other forum I can do that.

Thanks again!

Susan

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:56 GMT (UK) »
  There are a few photos here, though these houses are probably a bit "grand" compared with the average.  Look at nos. 2 to 5, and 13.  They gives an idea of the traditional sandstone buildings.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&action=search2&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CDate_Period%2CImage_Date%2CTitle%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%2CPhotographer%2CImage_Copyright%3BMYSQL_MATCHES%3B%2B%22thorpe-hesley%22%3B&page=1#rowNumber2

If you can possibly obtain a 2nd-hand copy of this book, it is a well-researched historical account of a family rift, which gives a flavour of the 18th century in Thorpe Hesley.
A House Divided - the life and death of John Billam of Thorpe Hesley by Stephen Cooper.  Bridge Publications, 1987.  (Original price £4.50)