Author Topic: SLESSOR  (Read 43549 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SLESSOR
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 August 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
I have a book,"Mary Slessor,The Barefoot Missionary" by Elizabeth Robertson. Mary was born in 1848 in Aberdeen, the daughter of Robert, a shoemaker. In 1859 the family moved to Dundee.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ginaone

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 31 January 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
hi, i think your slessors are the same as mine, do you have any photos of the you can send me.  thanks

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on Mary Mitchell Slessor I believe she is a distant relative of my grandmother Margaret Slessor born November 3, 1894

Most people in Scotland carry her picture around from time to time as she is on the Clydesdale Bank £10 note. http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknote_design_clydesdale_bank_Famous_Scots.php

There are many books on Mary Slessor the missionary. She was certainly discussed when I was at school as a famous Scot
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Lynn E. Vail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 17 April 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
I see all these records of Slessors around Cruden Bay and the area but would love to find someone with records of Rosie Slessor b 1897 in Aberdeen. She married a George Crammond b c1890. Or her father Andrew b 1849 in Old Deer, Aberdeen who married Mary Dunbar b 1858 in Laurencekirk.
Rosie gave birth to my father but his father was an unknown Canadian. She had a number of siblings, maybe six or seven including John, William, Laurence.

I believe the Slessors initially arrived in Scotland from Germany and became part of the Clan Gordon but my knowledge of my Scottish forefathers ends there and I would love to be able to fill in more details.

There are a number of famous Slessors besides Mary. There was an Air-Chief Marshal of the RAF, a Managing Director of Harrod's store in London, a BBC Producer and Australia has a famous poet with the name. Any more?

I have just joined today! So forgive any mistakes on my part.
Rose is my grandfather's sister. He was William. He married Jane (jean or Jeannie) Pirie and had my father William McLaren Slessor. They came to Canada in 1921 when Dad was 1.
I would love to connect with relatives of this arm of the Slessor's.

I'm also a wits end trying to find more about my grandmother Jane Pirie daughter of Andrew Pirie and Barbara Campbell

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 20 June 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching Greigs of Cruden, Aberdeenshire;  John Greig married Mary Slessor Old Deer 1817, she died Cruden 1879 and was the daughter of  Joseph Slessor and Jannet Black of Old Deer. I believe Joseph's parents Wm Slessor and Margaret Rob.  Interested in anyone with connections to Greigs or Slessors.
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 06 February 23 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I believe the Slessors initially arrived in Scotland from Germany and became part of the Clan Gordon but my knowledge of my Scottish forefathers ends there and I would love to be able to fill in more details.
According to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland the surname Slassor/Slesser/Slessor is an Aberdeenshire surname. He writes, "Robert Sleller (parhaps an error for Slesser), burgess of Aberdeen 1647. in 1696 several Slessors were recorded in the parish of Peterhead .... Sleaster, a Braemar surname in the seventeenth century, is perhaps a variant. The name may be of Dutch origin".

Be very wary of a putative connection to Clan Gordon - check very carefully any sources suggesting this. It smacks of the antics of the 19th and 20th century Brigadoon industry that would have us believe that every Scot, and indeed every Scottish surname, belongs to a clan.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kerryduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 06 February 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
found the conection between the slessors and my esslemonts tree
When Christian Slessor was born in 1825 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire, her father, Alexander, was 36, and her mother, Jane, was 28. She had one daughter with George Robertson. She then married John Cruickshank and they had one son together. She died on 20 July 1861 in her hometown at the age of 36
( george robertson )
George Robertson was born on 27 April 1821 in Old Deer, Aberdeenshire. He had one daughter with Christian Slessor in 1850. He died in 1861 at the age of 40.

( christian slessor )
When Isabella Robertson was born in 1850 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire, her father, George, was 29, and her mother, Christian, was 25. She married George Esselment on 21 December 1872 in her hometown. They had seven children in 19 years. She had one brother

(george esslemont )
When George Esselment was born in 1854 in Old Deer, Aberdeenshire, his father, Robert, was 24 and his mother, Isabella, was 20. He married Isabella Robertson on 21 December 1872 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. They had seven children in 19 years. He died on 25 August 1940 at the age of 86.

(edward murray esslemont )
When Edward Murray Esslemont was born in 1879 in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, his father, George, was 25 and his mother, Isabella, was 29. He had two brothers and four sisters

edwards son is edward simpson esslemont so 4x great grandfather and grand mother  christian slessor is my 4x great grandmother through the esslemont side thanks again happy to help

Offline Kerryduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 00:16 GMT (UK) »
christians mother is
Jane Gray was born in 1797 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. She married Alexander Slessor on 2 April 1814 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. They had five children in 23 years 
christians father is
Alexander Slessor was born in 1789 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire, the son of Elizabeth and Robert. He married Jane Gray on 2 April 1814 in his hometown. They had five children in 23 years. He had two sisters.

and alexander  father and mother  is
Alexander Slessor was born in 1789 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire, the son of Elizabeth and Robert. He married Jane Gray on 2 April 1814 in his hometown. They had five children in 23 years. He had two sisters.

alexanders dads  parents are
Robert Slessor married Elizabeth Buchan on 3 December 1785 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. They had three children during their marriage.

thts all i got just now but hope it helps with your and everyones journy

Offline Kerryduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 10 March 23 20:31 GMT (UK) »
christians mother is
Jane Gray was born in 1797 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. She married Alexander Slessor on 2 April 1814 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. They had five children in 23 years 
christians father is

and alexander  father and mother  is

alexanders dads  parents are
Robert Slessor married Elizabeth Buchan on 3 December 1785 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. They had three children during their marriage.

thts all i got just now but hope it helps with your and everyones journy
and her husband cruickshank is from my grandmothers side and th esslemont is from my dads side so does tht mean both sides r related ?