Author Topic: Haddo House  (Read 9721 times)

Offline NESTLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haddo House
« on: Saturday 02 January 10 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Haddo House August 1941.  My mother and father lived in Glasgow and my father was not in the forces.  I think my mother was sent to Methlick for safety reasons and to have a safe delivery.  I understand at the anniversary of the end of the way a few years back that all children born at Haddo were invited back by the family still living there.  I was in Canada and did not hear about this until after the event.

There is a National Trust booklet on Haddo House.  However, it does not make any reference to this period.  I would be interested in hearing more information on this period if anyone knows or has visited Haddo House.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Haddo House
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat.

Haddo House is a long way from Glasgow, well over 100 miles away in Aberdeenshire.  You may have better luck asking people with local Aberdeenshire knowledge.  Would you like the post moved to the Aberdeen board?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NESTLE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Please post on Aberdeen board.  Thank you

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Nestle, there are two Haddo's, the Earl of Aberdeen's and another at Forgue...Skoosh

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you try the National Trust for Scotland -
http://www.nts.org.uk/Home/
They now look after Haddo house.

Or perhaps the Aberdeen Archives may be able to help. They have records of both Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire county -
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/LocalHistory/archives/loc_ArchivesHomePage.asp

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Just for background, there has been a previous post on Haddo House (which Nestle is aware of but may help those doing any searches) on www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,418961.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have visited Haddo House & had a lovely visit with June, Marchioness of Aberdeen & Temair.  the owner. She was a close friend (actually a distant cousin) of a relative of mine.
A very down to earth lady, who was out in her garden working when we arrived.  She has turned Haddo in a thriving Arts Centre, including the Haddo House Choral Society, an annual Opera production, choral concerts, a bi-annual Shakespeare production, etc.   Her son has, I believe, taken over the operation of this part of the estate & there is a trust that administers it now.
The booklet is very interesting & informative.  I'm sure you could obtain it on-line through the National Trust.  I too am in Canada.

Offline NESTLE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 10 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I found it most interesting.  I have not visited Haddo House but look forward to doing so in the near future.  I did find a book entitled "Growing up in Haddo" which was about the family.  No mention of children being born there during the war.  I am able to impress people when I show them a picture of where I was born. However, this was followed by a move to less grander circumstances - a Glasgow tenement. Nevertheless had a vey happy childhood there and I have been fortunate to live in Toronto for the past forty years and appreciate the good life here in Canada.  Again thank you for your response.!

Offline sharie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 10 04:41 GMT (UK) »
I bet if you wrote to them, they seemed like the kind of people to me who would take an interest & do their best to assist you with finding records or just telling you about what life had been like there at the time you were born.
I'm in Saskatchewan, though born at Peterborough....I agree...we have a great life in Canada!
I'm back to Scotland in just over a month to visit again though....something about it that just draws me
back again & again!