Author Topic: Cumberland History  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cumberland History
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Cumberland History. Specifically I would like to know when the Lockhart's came and from where. My family the Lockhart's of Kirk Andrew Upon Esk is my current research. Being on the border it seems logical they came from Scotland but I would like to see if I can document where they came from. Any help would be most appreciated.

Blessings
All
Kevin
Lockhart, MacDonald, Guerin, Evans, Johnston

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Cumberland History
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
You may possibly get some help from the Cumbria Family History Society (Cumbria FHS). FHSs are a valuable resource often manned by volunteers who know their area and will often do a free lookup.
www.cumbriafhs.com
Good hunting!
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Reaney and Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames, mention a Symon Locard 1153-65 who appears in G.F. Black, The Surnames of Scotland, Warin Lockard 1190 in Suffolk, Jordan Lokard 1203 Norfolk and Uruay le Lockhert 1203 Northumberland. The first three names they suggest are from Old Gaelic and the last name from Old English. If they are correct then there is more than one origin for the name and your Lockharts might be English or Scottish, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
You may possibly get some help from the Cumbria Family History Society (Cumbria FHS). FHSs are a valuable resource often manned by volunteers who know their area and will often do a free lookup.
www.cumbriafhs.com
Good hunting!
Victor

Thank you Victor

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Reaney and Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames, mention a Symon Locard 1153-65 who appears in G.F. Black, The Surnames of Scotland, Warin Lockard 1190 in Suffolk, Jordan Lokard 1203 Norfolk and Uruay le Lockhert 1203 Northumberland. The first three names they suggest are from Old Gaelic and the last name from Old English. If they are correct then there is more than one origin for the name and your Lockharts might be English or Scottish, claytonbradley

Thank you Clayton