Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54254 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 January 11 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from two families who come from Thomastown Kilkenny.  They arrived in Australia in 1855, some on the Gloriana, some on the Ramillies.  Michael and Mary Hudson arrived with children Mary, John, Catherine and Thomas.  Michael's brother James arrived with wife Mary (nee Foley).  Mary's parents Edward and Catherine arrived with children James, Hannah and Bridget.  James and Mary apparently married at Sugarstown in 1855 before embarking.  I have other fragments of information and have had useful help from correspondents but have yet to really get down to sorting it out.  Any hints would be appreciated (particularly the economic climate of the area at that time and the possible reasons for the migration).  Thanks.  Jennifer

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaznjj

Many Irish familys  left Ireland around 1855 due to poverty other were deported to British Colonys  around the world for example for crime which was the punishment back then  there a place called Rothe House in Co Kilkenny that would be able to help you out also they have a website called  http://kilkenny.brsgenealogy.com this website is  great and hold load of records for Kilkenny at small charge.

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Biggles, i have been tracing the jackman family, my father came from Bennettsbridge and so did a couple of generations before him but i am sure there must be a link between them and the Thomastown Jackmans, they all have the same christian names and some seem to be witnesses at christenings etc. they seem connected mostly around 1800-1900 and they all seem to live along the road between the two places, your thoughts please as the local expert.
thanks.

it is pssible that the two familys are connected i had the same findings with my own family where cousin would of stood for family members as god parent.Thomaston and Benntetsbridge isnt that far apart only five miles out the road so yes they all could of been related in some way

Offline gnasher22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 January 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Biggles, i have been going over to Kilkenny once a year for the past three years and met up with relations i had never met before it was great, i also traced my grandfather Walter Jackman [ of Bennettsbridge ] and my great grandfather on my Nans side John Donnelly of Thomastown, they both worked as labourers at Kilmurry house and when my grandad married John Donnellys daughter Bridget they lived in one of the gatehouses outside of Kilmurry house, i was invited into the house by the current resident and could not believe how small it was inside, it was two rooms, one 8 foot square the other about 7 foot square, that was where my father was born together with four other brothers and a sister, eventually they moved back to Bennettsbridge and had a house next to the Nore which was owned by the Mosse family [ the millers ] thank you again.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 January 11 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Biggles, I will follow your suggestion.  It is useful to know the economic situation in a place to try and figure out why families immigrated.  One very interesting thing I noticed in the shipping records for the particular families is that while the parents, generally speaking, could neither read nor write, their children could which suggests that at the time education was valued and that the people were looking to the future. Either that or there was a real tough school ma'am in town!  Jaz

Offline Cosbygp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Biggles

I would be very grateful for a Thomastow marriage lookup.

I'm looking for the marriage of a Mary Jacobs to a an English soldier name James Etheridge (spelt various ways: Etteridge, Etterige, etc.) This should have happened in the mid 1830s.

Not sure if it's possible or not but a look up or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline vhowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
I have just posted a msg  and I notice you have offered to look up information for Thomastown,Kilkenny.
My great grandmother Johanna Frances Maher/Mahar was born in Thomastown abt 1844. I have been unable to trace her birth.
Her parents were Patrick and Catherine Despburn this is what is stated on her death certificate however I think it may be Catherine Spruhen as Johannas' grandfather was Michale Spruhen/Spruhan who lived at Jerpointabbey,Thomastown,Kilkenny. I have found a record for him on Griffiths Valuation as residing there in 1853.
Michael was deceased by 1892. Any information would be helpful.

Moderator Note - see related link : Johanna Frances Maher born Thomastown

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Foley, Hudson, Whelan, Walsh
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, this is a follow-up to previous posts regarding the families in my header. I am seeking help locating information about the following events:
.  birth in approximately 1813 of Catherine, daughter of James and Catherine Walsh
.  marriage of Catherine Walsh to Edward Foley estimated 1833
.  death of James and Catherine Walsh - say 1855-1880
The families lived in Thomastown, Kilkenny and were Roman Catholics.  Catherine (nee Walsh) and Edward Foley left Ireland for Australia in 1855 with at least some of their children - leaving the parents behind. 
Any assistance gratefully received.
Jennifer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Foley, Hudson, Whelan, Walsh
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
 am seeking help locating information about the following events:
.  birth in approximately 1813 of Catherine, daughter of James and Catherine Walsh
.  marriage of Catherine Walsh to Edward Foley estimated 1833
.  death of James and Catherine Walsh - say 1855-1880
The families lived in Thomastown, Kilkenny and were Roman Catholics.  Catherine (nee Walsh) and Edward Foley left Ireland for Australia in 1855 with at least some of their children - leaving the parents behind. 

Walsh is a common surname in the area so it could be difficult to find the correct records for your Walsh family. I would start with the marriage since you have two known names - which makes it easier to match up, or discard any records you find. Earlier records tend to be quite limited in details, so you could possibly find a marriage for Catherine and Edward with just the date, their names plus the names of witnesses. If you are lucky the record could give residences to the groom and bride in which case it might narrow down the area to check for their baptisms.

RC Baptism and Marriage records for the parish of Thomastown go back to about 1782, and details of these are available on microfilm Pos. 5024 in the National Library in Dublin. Records also seem to be available through LDS Family history libraries - see details here  (Irish Times)

Transcript records for the parish are also available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie

Like many RC registers, these do not include death/burials. If James and/or Catherine died after the start of full civil records started (1864) then there should be a civil record, which would mean a death cert, although since Walsh is a common name in the area it could be difficult to find them.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests