Author Topic: Waterford City George Bishop  (Read 8456 times)

Offline beebishop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford City George Bishop
« on: Monday 29 September 08 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I need help getting a foothold in Waterford City but so far online records have not helped.

I am looking for a George Joseph Bishop (D. 1938). I have a newspaper from the time of his death and from there I can glean that he was buried at 'the family burial place' at Ballybricken Cemetery. He had a seat on the Waterford Board of Guardians and was an early  representative of Sinn Fein and was a part of the Davis Literary and Debating Society (Davis L& D Soc Premises: - 112 The Quay in 1905).

His wife was Bridget Dardis. He had a son, also George Joseph in Wexford 16 Aug 1913. The only other thing I know is that he worked as a confectioner. There is a Walter Bishop - Confectioner, in the business listings but I have been unable to find a link between the two.

Many thanks for any help you can give! :D

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford City George Bishop
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a photograph of Bishops premises in Michael street , Waterford city (taken in the 19th cent ury)  on page 64 of the book " Waterford testerdays and tomorrrows" 1967 , by J.J. Walsh, if you write to Waterford city Library, at Lady Lane, Waterford City, they will send you a copy of the photograph. The following is the inscription on the Bishop monument in Ballybricken graveyard, In memory of Walter Bishop of Waterford who died 2nd of August 1873 aged 54. Also his 4 infant children. Katie Bishop died january 20th 1878 aged 12. Bridget Bishop died september 18th 1879 aged 20. Hannah Bishop died april 2nd 1881 aged 55. Walter Bishop died may 21st  1919 aged 73. His wife Bridget died 9th july 1934 aged 75. Walter Joseph Bishop died 5th october 1896 aged 21. Mary Bishop died 10th may 1900 aged 14. Josephine, Michael, Walter and Annie, infant children of Walter and  Bridget Bishop. Bridget Bishop (nee Dardis) died 5th april 1932 aged 54. And her husband George Bishop died 31st december 1938 aged 61. Molly died september 15th 1885 aged 17years. Her mother Mary  Bishop died 29th january 1889 aged 37.

Offline beebishop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks SO much for this. If this is the direct line going through the generations then it changes everything to what I've been told. The story is that the family is Georges all the way through but it seems it's Walter! This also gives me some very important dates so thanks again.

Offline ngtp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 03:33 BST (UK) »
I am researching this family Walter in particular I'm  also tracing the Hayden family of Tramore any information would be appreciated.
Searching Mcnulty, Gallagher, O'Donnell. Achill Island.
and Hayden, Bishop,  Hamilton and Grainger Tramore and Waterford.
Hayden and Power Greatisland. Wexford.
Never drink to forget, never forget to drink.

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
A photograph of Walter Bishop and family c1890 is on the National Library site -
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000032663
Also photographs of a Mrs Bishop, Michael St. and a Miss Bishop, Michael St. available here - http://tinyurl.com/9pvt9lp
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline Waterford Origins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello there
Here's an advert for Walter Bishop's enterprises in Waterford.  Taken from 'Beauty Spots in the South-East of Ireland and how to see them by Car or Cycle (1901)

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Egan's Guide to Waterford 1894 page 545 has an advert that says " Walter Bishop , Wholesale manufacturing confectioner and pastry cook, 7 Barronstrand Street, 48 Michael Street, 99 Quay Waterford."