Author Topic: Gordon family St Rollox district , Glasgow 1890,s , help needed  (Read 14457 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon family St Rollox district , Glasgow 1890,s , help needed
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank Don  :) Makes sense why I couldn't find the marriage for them now.

Mary, pity no connection with Ray's Gordon crew, but sounds like Don can help further with your husband's side.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tumbleweed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 March 14 15:56 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Don and Monica, wow! I am astonished that you got them so accurately Don. I am still taking this in as I never expected any result. I have not looked into his family tree but we always thought Wright was his grandmother's name and we were trying to figure out where the name Forrester fitted in as this name was used as a middle name for a family member.

We also wondered who Margaret's first husband was and how long he lived. I will now contact his sister and let her know this info. and see what she can add. I got this info. I sent from my husband Gordon and he obviously got it wrong haha.

Alex, his grandfather, died fairly young early forties with what the family called 'sleepy sickness' caught from working near the docks ..that was what was described anyway. He was a carter.

Margaret had her brother Jock living in their home and they are all buried in Riddrie cemetery. That part I know is correct as his mother took them to visit the family graves. I will send a PM Don and many thanks to you. Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 March 14 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Ooohh, that is great that it all makes sense, Mary. Well done, Don, for stepping in here  ;)

Monica

Offline tumbleweed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
 Yes indeed Monica and I have thanked Don on the PM . I thank you both again for the interest you took and for pointing me in the right direction to research my husband's family line quicker than I intended.
I already have found even more about them since Don sent me the info. !! Cheers !!

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Monica  :) been working the last few days and just catching up on here. Amazing how you tracked all the names down even in England. Been filling in the tree and just realised that after all the work you have done ive just realised i dont have a death for John Gordon 1866 who the original post was about  :o , I found that  Isabella died  in 1905 and John was left with 6 kids  and my grandad the youngest at 3. He wasnt listed as deceased on my grandads wedding cert of 25/05/1923 making him 67  .thats great  wee mae ,you finding the names for your hubbies side and there are name that match   :) never realised there was as many Gordons out there  :)
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 March 14 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Found where John Gordon died, in 1937 in Ruchill Hospital. In Possilpark, didnt expect to find him in that area and found he remarried at 60 ,so happy with that line in family . Now to trace William Taylor who married Agnes Taylor in 1872, son of Joseph and Catherine Parker .He was born in 1850, cant find a birth or a death .1891 census had Agnes as head of household and "Deserted" but he was back in 1901 census all in Gorbals/Hutcheston area. the 1901 census says he was born Kirkintilloch ,Dunbartonshire. thought Kirkie was in Stirlingshire in the old days.
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 March 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Marriage in 1872 - William Taylor and Agnes Miller? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTYM-DNT

Sure you have this, but just adding here for background. From 1881:

William Taylor 29 tailor b. Kirkintilloch
Agnes Taylor 30 b. Glasgow
William Taylor 7
Joseph Taylor 6
George M Taylor 4
John M Taylor 1

Address: 49 Richard St Glasgow/Anderston

Can't see him earlier than 1871 so far, already working in Glasgow and just before his marriage:

John W Cummings 30
Alexandrina Cummings 30
John Cummings 9
Alexander Cummings 7
Elizabeth Cummings 5
Robert Cummings 2
William Taylor 19 tailor boarder b. Kirkintilloch Stirlingshire

Address: 28 Brandon St, Glasgow High Church

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 08 March 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
What were the names of Agnes Miller's parents? I could only see one girl born (who doesn't show in 1891, likely died very young?) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT64-FF8

When did Agnes Miller die? Did she show as still married to William or widowed? Similarly, on any of their children that you may be following, you might get clues from their marriage certs as to whether father William was still alive or deceased.

From William's 1872 marriage, did parents show as alive or deceased? What was father Joseph's occupation on this?

Can't easily see a post 1855 death for a Catherine Parker/Taylor death in Scotland so far. Possibility also that parents may not have been married maybe when William was born and she could show later under another surname...

Monica

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 March 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica  :), Agnes born 1850  parents were George Miller cork cutter  and Helen Young/Miller yeah thats the marriage i got in Nov  1872 .Agnes died 07/05/1937 1301 Govan Road ,usual residence 4 Orchard St Glasgow , presume Hutchestown . Son William was witness from Fulton st Anniesland/Temple area .William was deceased and i cant find his birth or death and his father Joseph was deceased when they married and he was a Cotton Weaver . In the 1891 census i got them at 50 Crown st  and names match Agnes 41 -deserted , William 17 , Joseph 15, Alexander 3 and my granda James 1( b 1890) . 1901 census  William is back and hes 51 Agnes 50, Alexander 13 and james 12 and living in Errol St ,Gorbals i think . My mother said there was 4 brothers and one left for America , wasnt William as he was here at Agnes death and im sure Alex live in Shotts , which leaves , Joe . I know a Joe left in 1909 from Glasgow for New York on Ellis Island site and still to follow that up .