Author Topic: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 October 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Have since found Startup Hill on Roys. assuming it's the only one.

I don't think it's safe to assume that. Naturally I can't see the whole of your record, but Wiston and Roberton is a separate parish in its own right, and it's not even contiguous with East Kilbride. See http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/LKS/Roberton/index.shtml

If the residence of people mentioned in a parish register was in a different parish, it was almost invariably the practice to name the other parish. So if the people in this listing lived in Roberton, the register would normally say so. Therefore I think you are looking for a place in the parish of East Kilbride.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
Agreed Forfarian.

When I stated I'd found Startup Hill on Roys, I was referring to the one Baird had located.  We've since gone on to discuss Tuphall as a possibility.  Not ruling anything out yet. 

Fully aware of the other points you mention re locations, parishes and practices thanks. 

Just a wee nitpicking point.  You conclude with "Therefore I think you are looking for a place in the parish of East Kilbride"    I guess I should have put that in the thread title then.  :D

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Most areas in EK are named for old farms/dwellings etc that once stood close to the site.
There is nothing that I know of that resembles Cafold.
The best I can come up with is Castlefield pronounced  as Casfold ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Aha! I knew it rang a bell.

Startuphall is in the 1841 census, in ED7. I had come across it because the family there is headed by William Scott, farmer, 45, whom I would like to be able to connect to my own Scotts in EK.

Other places in the same ED include Ranger House, Birniehill, Whitecross, Langland House, Calder Bank, New Farm, Parkhead, Torrance, Backraw, Newhouse Mill, Blacklaw or Mount Cameron, and Common. I have found all of those places on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Six-inch map
except Ranger House, Calder Bank, Startuphall and Blacklaw.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.75926&lon=-4.15359&layers=5

In the census, Startuphall is listed between Newhouse Mill and Blacklaw or Mount Cameron. Both of these have been obliterated by the 20th century urban sprawl.

Newhouse Mill was on the left bank inside the bend in the Rotten Calder. Mount Cameron is a short distance north-west.

So it seems likely that Startuphall was somewhere close to one or other of these. I note with interest that there is a farm named as Newhouse on the map, but no house of that name is listed in the census. There are five houses at Newhouse Mill, two of which are uninhabited.

Is it possible that the place marked as Newhouse on the map is Startuphall?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Most areas in EK are named for old farms/dwellings etc that once stood close to the site.
There is nothing that I know of that resembles Cafold.
The best I can come up with is Castlefield pronounced  as Casfold ?
That's not beyond the realms of possibility.  Will keep it in mind.

Forfarian... thanks for your additional comments.  That's really useful and interesting.   Alas, I'm short of time to look further for the moment but I'll come back to it. 

Signing off for now,
Thanks again everyone for your input.

Dave
-------------------

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Just a wee nitpicking point.  You conclude with "Therefore I think you are looking for a place in the parish of East Kilbride"    I guess I should have put that in the thread title then.
Ha b**** ha. Sorry I spoke, I'm sure. I was only trying to help by steering the discussion away from red herrings in Roberton.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 October 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Quick post from my phone while on the move.

Was just having a bit of fun Forfarian. :)

Back to the issue in hand, I think it might all be relevant/interlinked somehow.  Pure supposition at this point of course.

The family I'm looking at being Roberton, probably from EK at the date in question. 
Maybe originally from the Roberton area. 
There's a Startup Hill near the place Roberton.
Could the place in EK have been named after the Startup Hill near Roberton?

Really just thinking on my feet at the moment.  I wonder whether a visit to The Mitchell to look for sasines might shed any light. 

Must sign off again for now.
-------------------

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 October 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Haven't read the whole post re this, but have you looked at this :-

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/79586/details/startup+hill/

Regards

Malky

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
How weird is this?

Just now, I am looking at a baptism record held in my files for a relative who was born in  EK in 1804

There is another baptism on the same page for a child named:
 James Semple, son of James Semple in STARTUPHALL. Born 17 Jun 1804 baptised 2 Jul 1804

Edited to include image of OPR in EK 1804.
Just as Forfarian has already posted, Startuphall was in EK