Author Topic: MARTIN family Blewbury  (Read 19604 times)

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family Blewbury
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 August 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan....

Thank you so much for this.....
Completely new to me.
Francis Martin was my GGGGrandfather who had 18 children all with Biblical names. I knew that they were a very strongly religious family but did not know that Francis founded a chapel. Any further information you might have would be of great interest to me.

All best wishes, and much gratitude,
dfss

Offline Paul John Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 September 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
For those interested in furthering the line of the Martins of Blewbury I am a direct descendant me being Paul Martin

My Great Great Grandfather was Silas his Son Jason being my Great Grandfather his Son being my Grandfather Albert Edward Martin born circa 1899. Albert Edward entered the Royal Navy at age 17 and made it his life career. On my fathers birth certificate it notes in 1929 he was a Petty Office at HMS Vernon a submarine training facility. My father Gavin Trevor Martin born Portsmouth UK 7th Aug 1929 died 28th Jan 2011 Queensland Australia was the son of Albert Edward Martin.

My Grandfather Albert Edward married Dorothy Phyliss Harris, she also went by the name Mary as a nickname in the early 1920s.

Albert and  Dorothy had 4 children  all still living. My Uncle John and his wife Betty retired to France and he died soon after that in France circa 1980. Grace the second child was born circa 1925 married Henri Lafont or Lefont, a french WW11 hero, his life story can easily be found if you google his name, Grace and Henri lived in France and had 3 children all still living in France. Lucien being a noted Sculptor in France. Grace, my aunt returned to the UK after she and Henri divorced late 60s early 70s, she died in the UK. My father Gavin Trevor the 3rd child was born 1929 died 2011.

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 September 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Since I last posted here I have done much research on the early history of this family. We share a common ancestry to your ancestor Silas and my ancestor Caleb, both sons of Francis Martin 1790-1870. I have put my findings on a site at

https://sites.google.com/site/martinofblewburyandreading/home

If you agree, I'll add some of your information about Silas and his children to the third page.

Hope to hear from you soon,
dfss

Offline Paul John Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 September 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
So that means we are cousins. The only known relative on my fathers side still living in the UK was my Uncle Michael thats even if he is still alive given the age he would be today.  More than happy for you to use any info I have as you see fit. I actually saw a photograph of the house known as Martins in Westbrook Street. Its amazing to think its still standing today. On a census relating to Caleb I saw that my Grandfather Albert Edward age 17 was staying with him at the time it notes Albert Edward SKN ( Sailor Kings Navy) next to his name. Love finding out stuff from the family.

Thanks Again
Paul

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, cousins how many times removed ?!!

I hope you've seen the two old photos of the house in Westbrook Street on the site.....and also the account of the highway robbery suffered by Silas and his brother in the 1830s !  Ezra Martins account of his visit to this house and his family in 1883 and is also extremely interesting. I have been greatly helped by Mrs Lee Martin Hayes in the USA (also one of your distant cousins) and by the Latter Day Saints archive which contains Ezra Martin's journal. Mrs Hayes is descended from Ezra who was another brother of Silas and Caleb's

Keep an eye on the site and I'll update the bit about Silas in due course. You can also contact me directly through the site if you wish.

All best wishes to you and yours, dfss

Offline Paul John Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou dfss I have read all that you have mentioned . I shall be reading more with great interest.I saw the black and white photos and did a google map search of westbrook street and saw the house as it stands today. I was interested in how Stanley Martin died in France Royal Fusileers Son of Charles. Grandson of Caleb. Silas was a ???grandfather of mine and he and Caleb being brothers would mean Stanley  was an Uncle of mine. I don't know I get confused figuring out who is who to what at times.

Thanks Again
Paul

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 September 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed ! All this distant relation terminology is really confusing. As I remember, the Battle of Epehy, where Stanley Martin was killed was primarily an Australian action in the assault on the Hindenburg line in 1918. The Americans were also involved.....Genes Reunited !!

All best, dfss

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 September 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry Paul...

I forgot to say that I only put detailed information on the Martin site up to our grandparents generation. In these days of identity theft one can't be too careful ! Will update the site soon,
Best, dfss

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk