Author Topic: Somerscales fish (and chip) shops in Reading  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Somerscales fish (and chip) shops in Reading
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
All the talk about the shoe shops in Reading Broad Street (Shoe Shop, Broad Street, Reading   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,446291.0.html) has reminded me of my first job after leaving school in 1960. At Barratts shoe shop, also in Broad Street. I had been temporarily transferred after 2 weeks in the Oxford shop, all daily expenses paid.

However, that is not my reason for this missive.  I am reminded that I did not finish my research into the Somerscales of Reading.

Isaac Daniel Somerscales 1829-1914 actually lived in Caversham but he and his stepson, Henry Cassell 1875-1950, who took his stepfather's surname on returning from forced exile as an emigree child in Canada, had a wet and dry fish (and chip)  shop. First in Broad Street, Reading, then in Union Street, and  then (from Kellys Directories)
     1952, 1954, 1956 - Commercial Addresses: (of Somerscales, Ltd., Fried Fish Shops)
          103 Caversham Road, Reading
          431 Oxford Road, Reading
          437 Basingstoke Road, Reading
           64 & 65 St. Marys Butts, Reading (Regd. Office)
Henry, however, died in 1950, so either the business name was kept or another member of the family took it over.
Does anyone remember any of these shops or know anything about the Somerscales, or where I might find out more.
Isaac's second wife was Helen Herbert Dixon 1846-1917 whose first husband was Thomas Cassell 1842-1884. The latter was nephew of my 2nd great grandfather, Daniel Cassell. From evidence I have, Helen seems to have been a bit of a social climber. 
Any snippets of info about the shops, and people's knowledge of them etc. would be gratefully received.

Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: Somerscales fish (and chip) shops in Reading
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Not going to help too much, but I thought Somerscales were still in Union Street (aka Smelly Alley) well into the 60s.

It is possible that the St Marys Butts address was Cook Sutton Accountants (my father's company was registered at their offices in St Marys Butts).

I will ask my sister tomorrow as she is quite a bit older than me, she may well have memories to share.

Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harry,
Thank you and for your thoughts on asking your sister.
As I no longer live anywhere near Reading or Oxford  and only worked at Barratts  for a short while I did not know this about the fish and chip shop.
Some other member of the family must have carried it on after Henry's death. There was a major fire at the Union Street shop in 1903 according to the Reading Mercury. The building was insured.
What I have also found on the net is a firm called Somerscales in Queens Road, Reading who are people who rent and operate Housing Association real estate.
I don't know if that is the same family but the surname is unusual. I am loath to approach them without more information, however.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Vicwinann,

I did speak with my sister who was of the opinion that Somerscales had left the wet fish trade well before her memory.   This was confirmed by a friend of mine who remembers Somerscales fish and chip shop in Oxford Road.   It was on the corner of Belmont Road, virtually opposite the entrance of (now defunct) Battle Hospital.   Apparently they sold the best fish and chips in the area and he was dispatched on his bike every Saturday to get the fish suppers for his parents  ;D

We are all of the opinion that the most likely candidate for the registered office would be the offices that became Cook Sutton Accountants.

The Basingstoke Road shop would have been sighted in a small parade of shops opposite the Gillette factory.

The Caversham Road shop would have been where Carters tents currently trade.   I suspect that this had shut by the early 60s as Carters moved there when Castle Street was redeveloped (unless the road numbering has been changed).   I don't remember a fish and chip shop there in 1964 when I went to school just around the corner.

Harry

My Interests:

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harry,
Many thanks for going to all that trouble. All information is grist to my mill, and with what you are telling me, I can add more "meat" to my family tree.  You also added a snippet about Carters which I did not know. I had not thought of looking for a branch of theirs in Reading.  Amazingly, that firm is also linked by marriage to my Sellwood family, way back in the early 19th century in Bucklebury and Thatcham.  Really quite incredible. Thank you.

Vicwinann

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Vicwinann,

My friend happened to go to the library today and found the following:

1944 Kellys Directory

Somerscales (fishmongers)

3, 4 & 5 Union Street
and
431 Oxford Road

We assume that 3 - 5 Union Street is the West Side, as Charles Eighteen (fishmongers) are listed as 19 Union Street East Side

Also
Bernard Goldstein at 72 Briants Ave, Caversham (see below)

1966 Kellys
Somerscales Fried Fish Dealers
72 Briants Avenue, Caversham
431 Oxford Road
Registered Office 64/65 St Marys Butts

Frosts Fishmongers are trading at Union Street West Side, with Charles Eighteen still Union Street West Side

1970 Kellys
As 1966, but with the registered office now at 13 Holmes Road

Interestingly, Elite Fisheries who traded at 115 Queens Road, also had the same registered office.

Harry

My Interests:

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Harry,
Obviously, the firm carried on after 1950 when the owner died. I don't have a marriage for Henry Cassell/Somerscales or any other children of Isaac Somerscales so who ran/owned the chip shop at that time remains a mystery.
Yours
Vic

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth contacting Reading Central Library - there are local historians/archivists there who can help, as well as a mass of photographs, which are regularly printed in the Reading Chronicle.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Graham. I will contact them and see what they are going to charge.
Vicwinann