Author Topic: Marriage records for Crossboyn/Ballyglass area  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Pollsara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records for Crossboyn/Ballyglass area
« on: Friday 22 June 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
 Can anyone tell me if marriages from the 1850's forward, in churches around the Crossboyne/killeenrevagh/Ballyglass/Ballindine area  are recorded somewhere. ?

if someone lived in Killeenrevagh Wilson in the 1850s or later, what church would they most likely have been married in ?  I would appreciate any info.  Thanks a lot.  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records for Crossboyn/Ballyglass area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
what denomination ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
the Church of Ireland parish for the area is Crossboyne, and there are parish marriage records available back to 1854. Older  marriage records should be included in civil records back to 1845. These records are held by the RCB Library.

The RC parish for the area is "Crossboyne & Taugheen", and include marriages back to the 1790s. The registers for this parish have been filmed by LDS and should be possible to order through a FamilySearch centre. The reference details are :

British Film Area 1279211 item 5-8

Both parish churches were close to the town of Crossboyne and on either side of the river, although the CofI church now appears to be disused.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 12 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
killeenrevagh/Ballyglass are located very close to the border with Co Galway. While I cant comment on what the practice was in the 1850's,  in modern times, people in that area would attend the catholic church in Ballyglass (not sure when it was built).  There is also a graveyard in Ballyglass, in case that helps. 

Another detail that might be relevant is that while killeenrevagh/Ballyglass are located in Co Mayo, the church in Ballyglass is linked to the modern parish of Milltown (Co Galway), but you wont find church records in the 1850's for Milltown, as it comes under "Addergoole and Liskeevy" for church records for that era.

In case you plan to look up the 1901 or the 1911 census, killeenrevagh/Ballyglass are both townlands in the Garrymore DED.  Addergoole is the relevant DED for the Galway side of the border.  Sometimes searching by DED is "safer" than searching for a specific surname in a particular townland, as there may be variations in the spellings of a surname.  In addition, I've noticed that spelling mistakes have been made with some records when they were entered on to the electronic database.

Hope this helps.

Offline johnfischer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
The church in Ballyglass (just inside the Mayo border above Galway near the townland of Belmont) now belongs (and has since the mid 19th century) to the Parish of Addergoole and Liskeevy which is referred to as the Parish of Milltown today. The boundaries were realigned - probably during the famine. Crossboyne and Taugheen were amalgamated and then Addergoole and Liskeevy were. Some of the boundaries as to what parish an area belonged to was changed.

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
The following link gives some details about the Ballyglass/Milltown area on the Mayo/Galway border and it might be helpful in the context of your research.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/6717056?show=all

Regards