Author Topic: Thomas Whitfield born 1811 Bronington  (Read 4785 times)

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Whitfield born 1811 Bronington
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thomas Whitfield was my 3rd great grandfather, according to the 1841 and 1851 census he was married to Elizabeth and they had 6 children Elizabeth, Sarah, Ann, Thomas, Mary, James.

He appears to have died in 1853 and banns were read in 1856 for Elizabeth to marry his brother William, the banns have 'illegal marriage, brother's widow' written on them, they were living together in 1861 though

Thomas and all of the children were baptised in Hanmer and lived in Tybroughton

What I am looking for is Elizabeth's maiden name, if she married Thomas in Hanmer then I fear the records will be among those destroyed in the fire there. I do know they were married before 1840 when their eldest child Elizabeth was baptised.
According to census Elizabeth was born in Bronnington 1815. I have found a marriage for a Thomas Whitfield in 1838 in Wem to an Elizabeth Craven, I've also found an Elizabeth Craven of Bronnington baptised 1815 in Hanmer

any further help would be appreciated

Linda
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Whitfield born 1811 Bronington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi the 1851 shows an Elizabeth Whitfield aged 20 with Thomas and Elizabeth HO107/1994/162 /2, this looks to be family in 1841:-

Thomas Whitfield 30 occ Slater
Elizabeth 25
Ellizabeth 10 months
Elizabeth Craven 10
Residing at Hulley, Hanmer, Ellesmere
Census Ref HO107/1408/ 7/4 / 2

If the marriage you located in Wem was on the 9th August 1838 both residing at Wem Heath then the occupation of Thomas was Slater and his Father a Thomas Whitfield occ Labourer the Father of Elizabeth was Samuel Craven occ Carpenter, does the name/occupation of Samuel bear out the baptism you found for Elizabeth?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
There is a question mark over which Thomas Whitfield is yours?There are two born in Hanmer at around this time.One born in Hanmer in 1811 to parents Thomas and Anne Whitfield.There is another born in 1817 to parents Thomas amd Elizabeth Whitfield.If it is the latter then I have a brother John born in 1813 in my Tree.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 00:57 BST (UK) »
The one born in 1817 apparently died later that year.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
The birth certificates of the children would have her maiden name, if they were born after 1837.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
There is a question mark over which Thomas Whitfield is yours?There are two born in Hanmer at around this time.One born in Hanmer in 1811 to parents Thomas and Anne Whitfield.There is another born in 1817 to parents Thomas amd Elizabeth Whitfield.If it is the latter then I have a brother John born in 1813 in my Tree.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

I have also found an 1861 census for a Thomas Whitfield age 49 born Hanmer, living in Liverpool with 2 sons Edward 6 and Charles 3
 RG 9/2653/128 p 37

I have discounted this as my Elizabeth was living and married with her brother in law William (I have today found their marriage in Tunstall (Near Stoke-Upon-Trent), Stafford) and the household included her children from Thomas
I assumed the Liverpool census referred to the later Thomas Whitfield from Hanmer with a possible wrong age, his 2 children were born in Birkenhead and their is a Thomas Whitfield living in Birkenhead with wife Rebecca
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi the 1851 shows an Elizabeth Whitfield aged 20 with Thomas and Elizabeth HO107/1994/162 /2, this looks to be family in 1841:-

Thomas Whitfield 30 occ Slater
Elizabeth 25
Ellizabeth 10 months
Elizabeth Craven 10
Residing at Hulley, Hanmer, Ellesmere
Census Ref HO107/1408/ 7/4 / 2

If the marriage you located in Wem was on the 9th August 1838 both residing at Wem Heath then the occupation of Thomas was Slater and his Father a Thomas Whitfield occ Labourer the Father of Elizabeth was Samuel Craven occ Carpenter, does the name/occupation of Samuel bear out the baptism you found for Elizabeth?
Keyboard86

Thank you for the above, I had this 1841 census added from Ancestry but Elizabeth Craven is not part of the household in the transcription and I hadn't looked closely enough at the image

In the 1851 census I believe the Elizabeth aged 20 is actually 10 and it has been wrongly transcribed due to a blot on the page

I was wondering wether the Wem marriage referred to the other Thomas Whitfield born in Hanmer around the same time, but if he is married to Rebecca and living in Birkenhead in 1851, it is looking increasingly likely that my Thomas married Elizabeth Craven, I will look into a little more to be absolutely sure
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I have established that my Elizabeth's maiden name was CRAVEN, the marriage to William names her as Elizabeth Whitfield and her father's name as Samuel Craven

thanks for all of the help
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt