Author Topic: John McGill death  (Read 7783 times)

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John McGill death
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the death of James McGill - he is shown as 44 years on the 1861 census at Berryland, Holywood.   I can't find his death on SP searching in Dumfries area.   I know he was married to Mary Laurie in 1837 at Holywood and had 3 daughters.   She died before 1851.

I want to find his mother's name - I know her first name was Jean on 1841 census and she died sometime between 1841 and 1851. His father was Adam McGill and I think he died in 1869 at Rowantree House near Thornhill.   No parents are shown as he was in the poorhouse and the governor signed the death.   He was born in Ireland so I don't think I will get any further with him.   He had a child Margaret around 1847 to a Agnes Walker but they never married and she is shown as a foundling on her death so don't think I will get any further back with her either!  She died in 1895.

Any ideas!

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: John McGill death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Morag,

Is he on the '71, '81 ... censuses?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Wul

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi tika and Jamjar

I don't know if this will be of any help but the Holywood MI is free online at http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Holywood/index.htm

Wul

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 09 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wul,

Had a look at Holywood MI's but not luck.

I have searched 1871 census but no trace - didn't try 1881, although looked for marriages of children but too many to choose from!   Children were Janet b 1839, Jane b.1840 and Elizabeth b. 1847.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a James McGill on my family tree he is a descendant of my husband.  I have him married to Mary Laure in 1837 and they had 3 daughters and 1 son, Mary died in 1845.  She was from the Dunscore area.  James got remarried to a Lilias Imrie in 1852 and they had 2 daughters and 5 sons.  When they married they lived in the Holywood area but when James died he was working as a wool worker in St Michaels Street.  If I can be any more help please let me know

Kathleen

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kath,

Can you give me James's date of death.  I'm not sure it is the same James Mcgill as I have my James in 1861 shown as a widower with his father Adam at Berryland in Holywood.
Do you have any other info on his father Adam McGill.   I am tracing this for a friend who is related to Margaret McGill the illigitimate child of Adam.

Morag

Offline wenzisme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
You asked about James McGill, husband of Mary Laurie. I do believe that he immigrated to New Zealand in the early 1860s with 2 of his 3 daughters. His Eldest daughter Jannet Laurie McGill married James McKerrow Campbell before they moved to NZ as well. They settled near Nelson on the South Island.
James himself died in 1898. I haven't bought his death certificate yet so I am not sure exactly where he is buried but I believe it to be Cromwell, Central Otago, NZ,
His second daughter Jane married George Redhead and their daughter married a Ritchie and was my husband's great Grandmother.
I am also interested in Adam and Jean (Jena or Jane) McGill but, like you, I'm having no success.

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.   I am only looking for James McGill to sort out the McGill family.   No wonder I couldn't find his death if he emigrated.   The link with the family is through the illegitimate child Margaret who is shown as on 1841 census as a 6 month old child with her mother in the McGill household.   Her mother Agnes Walker was just 17 when she had her and she had at least one other daughter called Agnes although she never married.   On Margaret McGill's death in 1904 her parents are shown as Adam McGill and Agnes Walker but she is shown as illegitimate.  On her death in 1895 Agnes Walker is shown as a foundling with no parents.

If you get his death and is shows his mother's name can you let me know.   If you want a copy of Margaret's death or census records I can PM them to you.  She would be a half sister of James.

They seem a very mixed up family as Agnes Walker and her baby were in the household in 1841with Adam McGill, his wife, james and his wife Mary and their first child Jannet!!

Morag

Offline wenzisme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply.
I should order Adam's death certificate. I have so many already on my list to buy =)
I was wonder if Adam McGill's wife Jena, Jean or it could even be Jane, left when she found out about the babies being Adams or if she died before the 51 cencus.  I just can't find her anywhere. No wonder James took his girls overseas.
Thanks again