Author Topic: Breakout from Kilkenny Jail  (Read 27660 times)

Offline mnabolg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Breakout from Kilkenny Jail
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 February 12 00:45 GMT (UK) »
TLB, another post on this site says records for Kilkenny jail from 1892 to 1921 are now online at www.findmypast.ie
 I have not looked at these records but this is the post, which lists prison records available:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,563540.0.html

I suggest you check the records for Clonmel and Waterford jails also.

An article in the Nenagh Guardian on November 26, 1921 said that most of the prisoners in the jail had been transferred from Spike Island. Maybe there are records of Spike Island prisoners that could be checked? The above-referenced post says the records for Spike Island for 1860-1893 are online but there may be a way to access later records. Good luck!

Offline Liam óg.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 April 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
There is a list of names of men who escapes from Kilkenny Jail through the tunnel.  I think it was 41 bodies including 4 from Enniscorthy, which is my interest.
This list can be found in "National Archives, Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
The file contains a long detailed account of how the escape was made.  These accounts are by staff from the jail itself which were highly criticised.
Hope this helps,
Tóg aire,
Liam óg.

Offline Liam óg.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 April 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
If you need a reference number try-GPB 1921/9687.
Liam óg.

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not answering all the replies, but have not been around much and things have been put on hold. It now transpires, from a distant cousin, that they may not have been part of this 'break out' but of an earlier one where they obtained some guards uniforms(?) or similar and walked out. More work to do but thanks for all your info, it has been very interesting.
As an aside, following a recent visit to Clonmel I have been able to obtain my dads Birth Cert, he was told his birth had never been registered and he always had to rely on his Baptismal Cert( which was incorrect )and this caused no end of problems. It took a lot of work in the records office and a very diligent  lady noticed an error in the records  which led to the discovery and has turned up a name nobody has ever heard of.
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline dazem11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for all the info, have done more research and it appears this is not the Great Uncle i was after. But still very interesting.

Offline niamhmull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
My father is a nephew of Father pat. His mother Catherine was a sister of Father Pat.what is your connection to him?

I have a family tree of the Delahunty family back to1774 and a copy of the photo with de valera.my father thinks that the 3rd person in the photo was the then mayor of kilkenny?He is aware of the existence of the photo with Arthur Griffith.A cousin of his (daughter of Richard) thinks that the photo is in Australia with relatives of Ellen Wall who was Fr Pats mother.

would love to share info

Offline Graham D

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
I'm the great grandson of John Delahunty mentioned in this thread, Father Patrick and Richard Delahunty were his brothers

I've not done a huge amount of research yet, just started but I have found loads to digest, just on this one extraordinary branch of my family

Keen to hear from any of you others who are also related to me in any way, keen to learn more / share knowledge / make connections!

I live in Exeter, UK

Offline niamhmull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
I would be delighted to share the info i have with you.my email address is (*)
      Regards,
          Niamh 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline niamhmull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 July 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
There is a book written by Jim Maher about The Flying Column-west kilkenny 1916 to 1921 which gives Fr Pat a good mention.I have a copy of the Anerican newspaper article about Fr Pat.