Author Topic: Maps on askaboutireland  (Read 803 times)

Offline hodd23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maps on askaboutireland
« on: Thursday 10 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The Griffith Valuation maps on www.askaboutireland.ie are made available by Google, and cannot be reproduced according to copyright info on the website. Is it possible to ask permission in such a case? Or does this mean that these images can never find their way into other publications? On the main googlemaps site, they seem to imply that images may be used, but not to bother asking for permission. As you can see, I'm a bit clueless about copyright, but am considering what maps I could possibly use for a local history project. Any advice?

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maps on askaboutireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 20:07 BST (UK) »
First of all good luck on your local history project. 
My advice after reading  through the ‘about us’ section on www.askaboutireland.com which contains 3 or more paragraphs about Copyright, is to email immediately the An Chomhairle Leabharlanna whose email address is  info@librarycouncil.ie stating what you hoping to do, mentioning you are hoping to produce a small local production print run and are seeking free copyright use if possible for what you intend, otherwise the whole project might fall through. You may already have done so , as you appear to believe Google owns all copyright, whereas I believe the OS of both governments in ireland hold the copyright of the 1st edition, 1st revision as printed.. They will give you their advice anyway. Share it with us all.  It all depends upon what you think you will produce as an end result.  Do not let your enthusiasm be dulled by being exposed to copyright. It should all work out all right in the end. Plan the best local history you can but I found one civil parish too large for one person to do justice to the information available. That was a surprise! But i completed it off the best I could, but remain dissatisfied in a number of areas of social matters and living conditions and in areas like biology botany geology, music, arts, engineering, medical history, and not least the images that record the place.  I was personally thrilled to discover relatives winning ploughing matches before 1830, but didnt cover my discovery properly in the local history .

I made other mistakes in producing an ebook in 2008,  Comber, Co Down and its environs; a historical directory of people and places. 426 pp A4 size. Its stored as a PDF, It was big then as  30mbs.  Its freely downloadable from Comber Historical Society’s website.  Perhaps facing no previous local history on the civil parish available to me at that time, I am satisfied i attempted it, warts and all.  I would be happy to go through it with you later.  Keep going,  lots of good luck and personal  encouragement
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hodd23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maps on askaboutireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the advice and the encouragement.
I have checked the website again, and there is actually an excellent 'report on copyright' there too, which I had missed before. I will write to the email address you suggested and hopefully there will be no problem.