Author Topic: STAFFORDSHIRE PLACENAME  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STAFFORDSHIRE PLACENAME
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
I still think the word begins with a "G"....I can't see it as a "C"  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
A Colin D Gronow puts
"Great heath, near Market Drayton, Staffordshire TF9, UK."
as a possibility but there does seem to be an 's' at the end of the first word so I am not fully convinced. T

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
hi.If you type in-parishes in stafford,on google-wikipedia has a huge list,you can go through them,it looks like the 2nd word is Heath.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
I did what you suggested Glen and what a formidable list I got.There was only one Heath namely Brindley Heath and that clearly doesn't fit.
In the 1871 census Sarah Dale puts Eccleshall as her birth place and from personal experience of census returns of other relations who chopped & changed and certainly entered tiny places within a parish, I feel that this Xxxx Heath will probably be in Eccleshall parish. It thus becomes very specialized and I think that only a person from that parish, with an interest in local history, will be able to help.
Thanks to you all for your efforts. Toby.

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
hi Toby,i have been away -sorry for delay in answering,but i suppose you could contact Stafford archives,or the william Salt library which is a couple of doors away.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Yates has the spelling 'Coats' (see attached) but if you look four lines up on the 1861 census you'll see the start of the word 'Grocer' has pretty much the same form as this (although it includes a little flourish that this does not!).

As Coats Heath is pretty much halfway between Stone & Eccleshall I would think it's a fair bet that it's a misinterpretation of Coats Heath.

Paul

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
hi,log onto www.oldmaps.co.uk.Type in Cotes Heath,then choose one of the old maps on the left hand side.Or,type in Coven,you should see Cotes Heath,also a cotes hall.You can move the map around,this must be the place.There is also Cotes,which looks like its a farm.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding