Author Topic: James Ramsay of Fife  (Read 13072 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Ramsay of Fife
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hold on Dordee,

Found some recent info which seems to indicate that Ann Ramsay who married Peter Shepherd, the teacher, might not be my Ann Ramsay, daughter of Arthur Ramsay of Cupar.  We might not be cousins after all!

Had a look at the Dairsie entry for their dau Mary who we know about -
23 Nov 1806, Peter Shepherd & Anne Ramsay his wife had a daughter born 23 Nov & bap 29 Dec 1806 named Mary.

Then I found five more of their children in the Dundee registers:

John, son of P.S., Teacher, & A.R. b 26/5 bap 31/5/1812 - named after J. Shepherd & J. Ramsay, grandfathers.
Agnes, dau of P.S., Teacher, & A.R. b 7/9 bap 10/10/1813 - named after A. Shepherd, cousin.
Elizabeth, dau of P.S., Teacher, & A.R. b 12/12 bap 31/12/1815 - named after E. Shepherd, aunt.
James, son of P.S., Teacher, & A.R. b 9/8 bap 22/8/1819 - named after J.R., Cupar, Fife
William, son of P.S., Teacher, & A.R. b 19/7 bap 4/8/1822 - named after pat. & mat. uncle.

I then had another look at the IGI and found another Ann Ramsay, the daughter of John Ramsay & Mary Melvin, bap Dairsie, Fife 23/5/1778.  This would account for their 1st child Mary (Herries) also being bap at Dairsie parish, Ann's home parish, near her mother.  Also John's bap entry says he was named after his grandfather, J(ohn) Ramsay.

What do you think?

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline Dordee

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 February 11 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Craig
Interesting what you have found.  I find that in Scotland, children were
named after family members as you know.  The A.Ramsay who had five more chdn after Mary Herries of whom two were named James & William.   When Mary Herries married P.Sh. two of her sons who possibly decd. before leaving Scotland were named James & William.
This is a big factor.   Incidentally do you know where the Herries comes in?   All confusing.  which A.Ramsay are you related to- worked it out?

Easier for you to solve this than me as you have access to records.
Look forward to your reply.
Dordee.

Offline Dordee

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 February 11 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Diddy.   Need your wonderful expertise again.
Have learnt of possibly more siblings my 4xgr/m had- John b. 26/5 bap 31/5 1812 Agnes bap 10/10 1813 - Elizabeth bap. 31/12/1815- James bapt. 22/8/1819 + William bapt. 4/8/1822.    The eldest Mary Herries Shepherd (F. P> Shepherd M.Ann Ramsay) married by 4xgrt/f. Thomas Mount.  Could you locate any more info of these siblings and where the middle name Herries comes from?
Quite a task I know.   I really would like to trace anyone related in either side who still live in Scotland.   There mustbe some ofmy kin.
Thanks
Dordee

Offline katedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,
I noticed your discussion with Dordee. I was interested to see a mention of Alexander Younger in your post. I'm wondering if you have any more information about the Youngers?. My line appears to go back to Alexander Younger and May Ramsay. My  great grandmother was May Younger daughter of Henry Younger and Ann McCann. Henry was the son of Alexander Younger and May Ramsay. I believe Henry was born in Leuchars, Fife.
I don't know a lot more than this at the moment.
I hope someone can help,

Thanks
Kate 

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Thanks for your post and good to hear from you. If Henry is descended from Alexander Younger and May Ramsay, then yes we are related as I descend from Henry's brother John and his wife Helen Bartie. they are my 3 x great grandparents on my mother's side.
I do have a lot of info about the Youngers although nothing of your Henry. I thought he had died young but he obviously ran off to Oz! Alexander was the son of Thomas Younger and Janet Smart, but I haven't managed to get back further than them. However May or Marjorie was daughter of Arthur Ramsay and Christian Campbell and I do have more on them going back a bit further.
Can you bear with me for a few days. I'm doing a social work degree and in the middle of a heavy writing period.
I'll get back to you in a few days. If you can send me a personal message on this site to my private e-mail I can correspond better with you.
Best wishes,

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline katedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
Craig
Good to hear from you also,thanks for getting back so quickly. The info you gave was great, thanks for sharing. I don't have a huge amount of info on Henry at the moment (here's a little to flesh out your records); Henry Younger died in 1896 and is buried in the Bannockburn cemetery near Geelong Victoria. It says on his death certificate that there was a magisterial inquiry but I haven't figured out how to find this yet. Henry and Ann had eight children ( James, Henry, Annie, Christina, May, Charles, Elizabeth and Mary). I'm not sure what other info you may be interested in, please let me know, I'll add to it if I can.

I would love to send you a personal email but apparently I have to have at least 3 posts before I can do this.
Good luck with the writing and get back to me when you are able.

Best wishes,
Kate

Offline kaine05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
Wonder if there is any connection.  I have the following in my family tree.
John Younger married a Helen Bartie.. their son Alexander married a Jane Ann Stephen. They lived in ST. Vigeans, Arbroath. between 1881 and 1897 they had the following children.  Mary, Isabella, Helen, Alexander, Margaret, George, James, John, Jane, and Elizabeth.  In 1899 their daughter Annie was born, she was my Grandmother.

I have a death certificate for John Younger, his parents are Alexander Youngers and Marjory Ramsay. I think the youngers lived in tayport and leuchars area of fife.

Offline jhaoughton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.My name is John Oughton.I have been working on my family tree and think that James Ramsay was my 3rd  grand uncle.His brother John Ramsey was my 3rd great grandfather.His parents were Mary ramsay and Alexander younger.Mary ramsay parents were Arthur ramsay and Christina cambell.Arthur Ramsay parents were Robert ramsay and Julian? Pierson.They were married on 19th January 1746.Was John ramsay married to Helen Barty?
I hope this helps.
        Kind regards John oughton. My family tree is on ancestry if you want to look.

Offline jhaoughton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 July 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.I think we may be related as well.My 4th great grandparents were Mary ramsay and Alexander younger.Marys parents were I think Arthur ramsay and Christina cambell.Arthur ramsays parents were Robert ramsay and Julian pierson I believe. My tree goes Ellen frazer oughton (nee Alexander) my Mother. Margaret younger bowman (grandmother) John whytock younger (1st great grandfather) margaret younger ( 2nd great grandmother) John younger ( 3rd great grandfather) Mary ramsay (4th greatgrandmother) married to Alexander younger.I think Robert ramsay married Julian ? Pierson at Leuchars Fife in 1746.please contact me if you wish.
              Your John oughton