Author Topic: Thomas McEwan and Catherine Jones  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McEwan and Catherine Jones
« on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my third great grandparents, Thomas McEwan and Catherine Jones. I know that their son John McEwan was born around 1863 in Govan, Glasgow. It says so according to census information and his death certificate. On ScotlandsPeople I've been unable to find their marriage or death certificates. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I tried FamilySearch too but could not find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McEwan and Catherine Jones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
Have you found John with his parents on the 1871 census?  Where were his parents born?

Were any children born before 1855?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
Have you found John with his parents on the 1871 census?  Where were his parents born?

Were any children born before 1855?

That is what I am unsure of and would like to know most, where they were born. If I could get them on the census I would be thrilled, I haven't found them yet.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 01:02 BST (UK) »
The only John McEwan I can find born Govan with parents Thomas and Catherine is living with family in 1881 at 71 Hamilton St., Govan - Thomas is a Dock Labourer and both he and Catherine are born in Ireland.

However, if this is your family Catherine's maiden name - according to the births of their children - is Murtha and not Jones and John was actually born 10/9/1860 (next in line is a Mary shown bc.1865 but she was born 26/12/1863).

Can you confirm if this is the right family?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
The only John McEwan I can find born Govan with parents Thomas and Catherine is living with family in 1881 at 71 Hamilton St., Govan - Thomas is a Dock Labourer and both he and Catherine are born in Ireland.

However, if this is your family Catherine's maiden name - according to the births of their children - is Murtha and not Jones and John was actually born 10/9/1860 (next in line is a Mary shown bc.1865 but she was born 26/12/1863).

Can you confirm if this is the right family?

Annette

Hi Annette

Thank you for searching that for me!

Both John and his father Thomas were "ship platers", I'm not certain but would a 'dock labourer' be akin to this? (Perhaps one starts out as a labourer?)

On his death certificate for 1912 John is said to have been 49 years old, which would have placed him in 1863 (I think?).

Also Catherine is described in the death certificate of her son as having the maiden name "Jones".

So it is not a neat match I think on any of these areas. That is the problem I also faced. According to the 1901 census, John was born in Govan, Glasgow. I'm thinking it might have been a mistake.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 01:19 BST (UK) »
Was your John married to a Margaret?   If so, what was her maiden name?

I've found a John, a plater, with wife Margaret, and 2 children in 1891 at Ayr.

Also, in 1881 the John I found is an apprentice Iron Fitter so that sounds like someone who'd be a plater.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Was your John married to a Margaret?   If so, what was her maiden name?

I've found a John, a plater, with wife Margaret, and 2 children in 1891 at Ayr.

Also, in 1881 the John I found is an apprentice Iron Fitter so that sounds like someone who'd be a plater.

Annette

My John was indeed married to a Margaret, her maiden name was Kerracher. He also lived in Ayr and my great grandmother Mary McEwan was born in Ayr in 1896.  ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
I am 100% certain that I have the right family but there is obviously something weird regarding Catherine's maiden name.

You have it as Jones (on John's death certificate and also on his marriage).   Family I found show, on childrens births, her name as Murtha.  Checked on a daughter with a less familiar Christian name i.e. Sophia.   She married a Patrick Smith 12/11/1895 Govan and states her father Thomas as 'Iron Ship Plater' and mother as Catherine Murdoch!

Knowing that Thomas still alive 1895 then looked for his death - he died 22/2/1902 (alas, in Govan Poorhouse).   Shown as 'Ship Plater', widower of Catherine Murdoch.   Informant is YOUR John McEwan of 95a Langlands Road, Govan.    Checked 1901 census and your John and family are living at 95 Langlands Road!

So, this proves the family on 1881 census - when Thomas shown as Dock Labourer - is the correct one.   They had 6 children - John b.10/9/1860, Mary b.26/12/1863, Catherine b.23/3/1866, Sophia b.21/3/1872 and an Annie bc.1875/6.

I only have access to transcripts of Scottish census and past experience shows that all kind of weird transcriptions come up.   In 1871 (on ancestry) family name has been transcribed as 'Kevlin' so heaven knows what original looks like! (Thomas a 'Labourer at Iron Works'.  In 1861 (on ancestry again) family name transcribed as McGloan!   This time Thomas is 'Boat Yard Labourer' and it's just him, Catherine and baby John aged 6 months i.e. b.1860.

So, 1861 John is 6 months b.1860 (correct), 1871 bc.1861, 1881 bc.1862, 1891 bc.1862, 1901 bc.1859!

I see, sadly, that Catherine McEwan died 14/2/1902, just 8 days before Thomas.  This reveals where the name Jones comes from - she is shown as married to Thomas McEwan, Iron Ship Plater, and her parents are shown as Thomas Murdoch, farm labourer (deceased) and Catherine, nee JONES!

Even weirder - the marriage details on Sophia's birth certificate show that Thomas McEwan (or McEwen - most early records have this spelling) and Catherine Murtha married 18/1/1859 Castle Eden, (which is in Co. Durham), England.   Castle Eden came under the registration district of Easington but cannot find marriage entry in English records.   Should be registered Mar.qtr.1859 Easington - nearest I can find is a Catherine Murtagh (??) but no corresponding Thomas McEwan/McEwen.

So now it's a marriage in England to find!!

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Annette,

Just...Wow!!!!  ;D

I truly appreciate your excellent research and am very much grateful for your help. You have really been wonderful and I can't thank you enough. I feel like giving you a massive cyber hug  :)

I am still trying to piece all of this together. I mean, wow...it is just so much to take in. They got married in England? That is definitely an unexpected twist! Am I right in believing, according to the 1881 census, that they were both Irish born? What then were they doing in England and then Scotland I wonder?

I am also deeply saddened to hear that Thomas died in the Govan poorhouse. What a tragic end.

And I am so glad that you have solved the mystery of this surname 'Jones', that it was her mother's name.

What is interesting is that my grandfather (who is still alive) had been convinced that there wasn't any Irish in his McEwan ancestors and that they were Scottish through and through. Now I find that both of John's parents came from Ireland. I am guessing however that this would have been Northern Ireland, since McEwan is a Scottish surname (ie Ulster Scots descent?)

This has been fascinating Annette. I must now proclaim you as the Sherlock Holmes of Rootschat. What a brilliant detective you are!  ;D