Author Topic: Mary or possibley Marion Barclay  (Read 46499 times)

Offline pollyarchmucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary or possibley Marion Barclay
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more of my mothers direct lineage which has brought me to Portmoak Kinross. My great great,great grandmother was Mary Reid born Mary or Marion Barclay who i think married David Reid.

Can anyone help me with any information on Mary or her parents or the Reid or Barclay's

Any help appreciated
Mick from OZ

Offline pollyarchmucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary or possibley Marion Barclay
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 09 07:08 BST (UK) »
OOps got a bit confused with my previous posting. Mary Reid was born in 1829 and her parents were Mary or Marion Barclay and David Reid.
If anyone can offer any more info 0n those people that would be great

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
hi Mick  :)

don't know what you have already but the children of david reid and mary
barclay are on the IGI
the family is also on the 1841 census at portmoak kinross on freeCEN
there is a tree here -

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3229860&id=I519511303

don't know how accurate it is ?

marriage 18th nov. 1814 portmoak kinross david reid and mairon barclay on
IGI

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jjsams14

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
hey Mick from OZ my name is Jonathan I live in the states and I think we're related by David Reid and Marion Barclay, their son James who married Margaret Creighton and had daughter Margaret who married Joseph Morton (who is my ggg grandfather) if any of this sounds familiar please reply. Thanks

Offline Kinross Museum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the book "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire"?

The Kinross Museum could check it for you?
Kinross Museum is independent, Owned by a Charitable Trust
(Scottish Charity no. SC 027144) and run by Friends and volunteers.
It is financed by donations, Friends' subscriptions, fund-raising events, grants, and sales from the Museum shop. Entry to the museum is free.

Offline kschind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 12 06:28 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from David Reid and Marion Barclay through James Reid and Margaret Crichton, via Jane Reid who was my gr gr grandmother.  I was born in the states and married a Canadian, so came back to  my roots where Jane was born, Jonathan.  Mick, I can't get back beyond David or Marion, either.   

Offline LizD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am descended from David Reid and Marion/Mary Barclay through eldest son William.  I have a detailed death certificate giving David's parents names as William Reid and Jean Paton.  Jean Paton is in the 1841 census in the household under David and Mary/Marion.  She is living with David & Mary/Marion's sons William and David.  William (eldest son of David & Mary/Marion) emigrated to Australia in 1849 with his wife and daughter.  I have a photo of him on my Ancestry website tree if you would like to have a look.  I would be interested in knowing what happened to the rest of his brothers and sisters.  I have tracked the few that stayed in Scotland but what happened to the rest?

Offline kschind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz.  I was so glad to read your post.  I had no idea that William Reid went to Australia.  I had found a William Reid who died in 1898 in Ontario.  I thought he was the brother of my James Reid ancestor.  I did look on your tree on ancestry.com and found so much info that I didn't have.  I have not posted my family tree because I am not sure how, but someone else has posted info under the White family tree that will give you info on James, who married Margaret Crichton.  James died in Northbrook Ontario, Canada on 6 Apr. 1897.  Margaret died just a couple of weeks before, 23 Mar 1897.  They had 9 children, only the last one, John, was born in Ontario.  The rest were born in Scotland.  All of their children did come to Canada, though.  I don't know about the rest of his brothers and their families, though, except from what you have on your family tree.  There are a few family trees on ancestry which contain this info.  The Forbes family tree is one. Hope this helps you to find James' family. :D

Offline LizD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 13 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your message, I have had a good look at ancestry.com to find James' family.  I have also heard from someone from Robert Reid's family (son of David & Marion/Mary) Robert stayed in Scotland.  I could send you a copy of David Reid's death certificate if you like.  My email address is *
I would like to hear from Mick from Oz to find out who Mary Reid (daughter of David & Marion/Mary) who did Mary marry?

Liz
Australia
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php