Author Topic: Wade family of Injebreck  (Read 11750 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wade family of Injebreck
« on: Tuesday 17 September 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for any information about John Wade & his wife Helen (nee Saunders) who married 1796 in Devon. They had children in Devon, Edinburgh, Herts and eventually settled in Braddon area IOM abt 1810. One newspaper article says that the daughter of "John Wade of Injebreck" was married in 1820.

Last mention of John & Helen was in a TNA doc in 1823 stating that they were still alive and had 9 children living.

One mention in a Google Book states that John was "Colonel Wade" but can't verify this information. Helen's family were from India (where she was born abt 1777) so likely John was ex-India army or East India Co.

Would like to know when/where Helen & John died if possible please.

ANY info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wade family of Injebreck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
they had children in BraddAn tho several died - can't find any burial for Helen
there are several deeds involving a John Wade inc NSS May 1810 1 Helen Saunders to John Wade esq
+ SSS May 1827 59 John Wade to Helen Wade + A Dunlop
(you can buy copies of these via Manx Museum)
Was Helen of Cargan? House, widow + relict Edward Saunders sometime of Fort St George in East? Indies  - if so then NSS May 1809 1 is sale of Mountpelier (£5000) to her
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 September 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
they had children in BraddAn tho several died - can't find any burial for Helen
there are several deeds involving a John Wade inc NSS May 1810 1 Helen Saunders to John Wade esq
+ SSS May 1827 59 John Wade to Helen Wade + A Dunlop
(you can buy copies of these via Manx Museum)
Was Helen of Cargan? House, widow + relict Edward Saunders sometime of Fort St George in East? Indies  - if so then NSS May 1809 1 is sale of Mountpelier (£5000) to her

Thanks Frances - interesting to see the ref to John Wade in 1827. I therefore assume that both John & Helen are still alive at that date.

Pardon my ignorance but what do the "NSS" and "SSS" relate to?

As far as I know Helen Wade (nee Saunders) was born in Madras India - dau of Edward & Helen Saunders. It's possible that the ref to Mountpelier may have been related to Edward's widow, ie Helen Wade's mother, as Edward died 1800.

Thanks again - I appreciate your help.

Di

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 September 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
look up property records via subject index www.manxnotebook.com - the Manx Museum is enquiries@mnh.gov.im - yes looks as tho mother bought the large estate (up in hills just above Injebreck which as I'm sure you know is at top of one of the Baldwin Valleys and now partly inundated under the reservoir for Douglas) and transferred to son-in-law

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 September 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Frances.

Unfortunately I know nothing about IOM so everything and everywhere is a big learning experience at the moment.

Helen Saunders will doesn't mention any of her children at all which made me wonder if her dau Helen Wade had died by 1833 when Helen snr's will was written. Transferring Mountpelier to John Wade may have been done instead of any bequest in her will.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 October 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
John Wade couldn't pay Island creditors in 1823 - one deed (somewhat rambling re reasons) is Power of Attorney in June 1823  to wife Helen als Suanders or friend Anthony Dunlop (who also went bust sometime later + committed suicide - see brief bio on my site) to act for him, the other deed by Helen is the transfer of all his land to the trustees of his creditors in Aug 1823

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information Frances. I read your sad story of Anthony Dunlop. I just hope the same fate wasn't in store for John Wade as I still am unable to find either his or Helen's death/burial.

If all his lands were transferred to the trustees then it's likely that the family may have left the island or at least that area anyway.

Thank you for your help.

Di

Offline Manninagh1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 01:40 BST (UK) »
Just spotted your query regarding the Wade family. I probably have quite a bit about the farming activities of John W, it would take time to assemble. However I once spotted an entry in "The Edinburgh Magazine and Literary Miscellany" Volume 81 referring to a birth at Dunmow, Essex on 23 Jan 1818 (?) of a child to "the lady of George Wade, Esq" being her 16th child (with 15 surviving). It adds "the brother of the above-named gentleman (John Wade of Injebreck, Esq, in the Isle ,of Man) has nine children living". It asserted that the 24 children were 12 male and 12 female. This may all be established already!

Offline Manninagh1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 September 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
Another ref: out of the Newspapers, seems JW was a budding author;
Manx Advertiser January 6th 1820 Preparing for the press
Notes on the Actual State and Capabilities of the Isle of Man by J. Wade Esq of Injebreck and  Druidale Captain of Michael and Master of Arts of the University of Cambridge
Sadly no sign of him in Cubbon's Manx Bibliography, have MS holdings of  MNH been checked? Seems unlikely he had an army career if he was an M A Cantab.?