Author Topic: Fanny McAlpine and Robert Stevenson Bannockburn  (Read 17913 times)

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny McAlpine and Robert Stevenson Bannockburn
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ahtram

That's a fascinating discovery. Made me wonder who was living at Birkhill when she was found. If I have the right place (Birkhill House near Cambusbarron), it looks like it may have been in the hands of a family called Muschet. A doctor, John Muschet was head of the household at time of 1841 census. It's possible his father, Patrick, may have been the occupier at the time Fanny was left there. He too was a doctor and a prominent citizen of Stirling, which might be the reason that location was chosen to leave the baby.

Sandy

Offline ahtraM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 March 14 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Sandy

That is interesting to hear that the owner of Birkhill house at that time may have been a doctor, because other than at a Church, it would make sense at that time to leave a foundling at a Doctor's house.

I think being found at Birkhill explains the "Birkhill" part of her name, but of course that leaves the "Mcalpine" part....unless she was adopted by a family called Mcalpine, or even married/lived with someone called Mcalpine before she married Robert Stevenson.  I can't think of any other reasons for the name "Mcalpine" to appear on documents.   Even though it is the end of the line searching for her forebears, there may still be wee snippets of facts which can round out her life.

Thanks for that info.  I'll do a wee bit of research on Birkhill House and the families who lived there, just for "background".   It's amazing how often "gut feeling" can help researching ancestors (as long as you don't go down the wrong family line as a result of not making certain of your facts)

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 August 14 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Fanny & Robert Stevenson are my hubby's 3 great grandparents. Their daughter Cathrine married James Taylor, Their son Robert m. Isabella Stevenson. 4th child born was named Fanny Barr Taylor and she married Stewart Houston Inglis, their daughter Isabella Inglis m. John Thew.

Fanny Birkhill/McAlpine has been one great brick-wall for me....

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 August 14 04:04 BST (UK) »
Just an update on the confusion surrounding Fanny Birkhill McAlpine Stevenson.   I have recently found a newspaper Obituary for her, and it would appear that she was a foundling in the vicinity of Birkhill....so the probable reason for that name.   The newspaper article (dated 24th January 1861) says

"STEVENSON - At Bannockburn Muir, on the 17th inst., Fanny Birkhill, wife of Mr Robert Stevenson, in the 63rd year of her age.   Deceased was found 63 years ago at Birkhill, Parish of St Ninians, and strange to say no trace could ever be got of her father or mother

Hi,

Would you please share where  and which paper you found the Obituary in. Fanny Birkhill was hubby's 3 gr. Grandmother.

Many Thanks

Offline ahtraM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 January 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mrs BT

Apologies for the delay in posting a response to your query here.  I think I found the article on Genes Reunited.   It was definitely listed in the Stirling Observer dated 24th January 1861.

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 January 15 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mrs BT

Apologies for the delay in posting a response to your query here.  I think I found the article on Genes Reunited.   It was definitely listed in the Stirling Observer dated 24th January 1861.

Thank you for your reply. I did find death notice. 😊