Author Topic: Parish baptisms before 1780 in Stirling and/or Lanark  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Michm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish baptisms before 1780 in Stirling and/or Lanark
« on: Sunday 13 April 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I happened on this site while looking for info on Gorbals. I am having great difficulty finding a baptism for my ggg grandfather Ronald McLeod. I have his marriage info in 1795 at Buchanan Stirling, his wife Catherine McFarlane also was baptised 1775 at Buchanan. All his children were baptised at Gorbals Lanark Scotland.
My question is am I likely to be able to find his birth details to gain his fathers name at least.
Kind regards
Michelle Mead
Australia
Westmore Hampshire England. Dines Hertford England. Tapfield Kent England. Cowden Glasgow Scotland. Coggan Somerset England. McLeod Stirling Scotland. Lucas Surry England.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish baptisms before 1780 in Stirling and/or Lanark
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Michelle.

I take it you have already checked Scotlands People for a possible birth or baptism? Have you broadened the search area, or is there something which leads you to believe he was born in Stirling/Lanark?

Have you seen Ronald's original marriage entry? Are there any clues there as to his origins?

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too Michelle :)

Have you checked familysearch.org :-\

Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
What are the names and birthdates of the children? Sometimes that is helpful
if the parents followed the Scottish naming pattern.

Joy

Modified to correct grammar
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick responses.
Hi Ruskie, Yes you are right I have already searched Scotslandpeople, when I search online I only enter his names or just his surname with approximate dates so I cover all areas. His marriage was in Buchanan Stirling and his children were all born in Gorbals Lanark. I do have a copy of their marriage it only states both in this parish which is Buchanan Stirling but I could find no record of a baptism/birth in the films for that area and years. All the childrens records state his name as Ronald. The local LDS church found a record of a war record for a Ronald McLeod but even if that is him it does not state his parents which I need to continue with my tree.

Hi Joyful, yes I searched familysearch.org and my local LDS church has also checked their site and ancestry.com. Have also looked thru the films for Stirling, next will be films for Lanark.
His childrens details are:
Daniel b 19 May 1800
Agnus b 19 Aug 1804
Agnus b 25 May 1806 I assume (yes I know that naughty) the first Agnus died
George b 26 May 1811 - my ggg grandfather
Kind regards
Michelle
Westmore Hampshire England. Dines Hertford England. Tapfield Kent England. Cowden Glasgow Scotland. Coggan Somerset England. McLeod Stirling Scotland. Lucas Surry England.