Author Topic: GRO register  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Juliefrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • The West Family, Marlow
    • View Profile
GRO register
« on: Friday 28 April 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know about amendments on the GRO register - I have two births - brother and sister and both have been amended at the bottom of the page in handwriting - details of the two remain the same but both have the comment see S66 by them.  Anyone know what this means?

Thanks

Julie
Berkshire - Warwick, Cox, Knight, Hicks, Randall, Ranscombe<br />Buckinghamshire - West, Thatcher, Stroud, Light, Hiscock<br />Hampshire - Light, Hiscock

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GRO register
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie

Many pages have amendments usually only giving the reference. Give the name quarter and year so we can have a look.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Juliefrances, I believe that the comment "see S66" would refer to the September quarter of year 66, be it 1866 or 1966.  As both children have the same comment, unless they were twins I guess this could well be when the parents married & the children's original surname was amended to the father's surname because of the marriage.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline Juliefrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • The West Family, Marlow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tony,

That would make sense.

Julie
Berkshire - Warwick, Cox, Knight, Hicks, Randall, Ranscombe<br />Buckinghamshire - West, Thatcher, Stroud, Light, Hiscock<br />Hampshire - Light, Hiscock