Author Topic: Confirming parents without marriage certificate  (Read 1537 times)

Offline angellize69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confirming parents without marriage certificate
« on: Monday 08 May 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise me as to how i can obtain proof of a couples parents without certificate of marriage.
I have Thomas Cailes who married Martha Preston in dorset in 1808.I think his family came from ringwood but i cant find any proof of his parents...their are so many with the same names!
This is also my problem with other family memebers from the late 1700 early 1800's.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Ally
DILWORTH-GLASGOW<br />SUTHERLAND-CAITHNESS<br />MCCAFFERTY-GLASGOW<br />BALLINGALL-GLASGOW<br />ROSIE-SCOTLAND<br />MANSON-CAITHNESS<br />CAILES/CAIL/KAIL-DORSET<br />CAILES/KAIL-HAMPSHIRE<br />CAILES/KAIL-WILTSHIRE<br />HIDES-LINCOLNSHIRE<br />WHITNEY-LINCS<br />THOMPSON-LINCS

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Confirming parents without marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Lots of other people on here know a lot more than I do - but I think you may need to look in the 'Parish Chest' - these are Parish Records such as Deeds of Settlement,  records of apprenticeships, bastardy orders etc.  They should be at your local record office or you might get them through a Family History Center - look on familyseach.com for your nearest one.  If you are lucky you will find something!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Confirming parents without marriage certificate
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
Up to 1813 you will usually only get the fathers name from the baptism in the the parish register.  From 1813 you will get father's name and occupation and mother's christian name.

If the child was base born you will get the mother's name prior to 1813 and might get the father's name.  Beyond that you have to hope that they were  very poor, in which case there are many records where you might find something.

Otherwise an apprenticeship record would give you the father.

If they were rich then School and University records will also provide the information.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk