Author Topic: Marriage WESTOVER England.  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage WESTOVER England.
« on: Friday 12 May 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for hopefully a mariage of John Westover and Ann Whorlow to try and work out where they came from.

They had a son William Joseph WESTOVER in 1838 and maybe another one in South Australia in 1854.
I know they both died in SA so that isn't a problem.

Am wanting to know if they had any other children in England and where and when they got married so hopefully can determine where they were born???

I know you guys and girls out there are a clever lot but I think this might be tough??

I'm trying to find how and when they came to Australia if I have any luck I'll let you know because I know that should help.

Any takers??

Lilygirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage WESTOVER England.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilygirl

You might have additional difficulties, due to the fact that compulsory registration did not start until 1837.  It could well be that the marriage occurred before that date, especially if the first child was born in 1838.

I looked at the surname distribution map ** and WHORLOW seems to be very much a Kent name.  WESTOVER is also found in this part of the world (Kent, Sussex and London mainly).  There are WESTOVER births around the period you are interested in, mainly in Kent and Bethnal Green.  Of course, your chap obviously liked travelling, so we can't be sure!

Will have a look for the birth, but you might want a Kent look-up specifically - anyone help??

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

**  http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hey,
WOW!

I'm really happy you said KENT!
I had a feeling there was some connection with Kent I wrote down years and years ago but can't find what it is or where I got that from, so thought maybe I was getting mixed up with some o my other Kent families.

Thanks for your help I'll post on the Kent board.

Lilygirl.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the full birth records for 1837 & 1838 and there is no birth recorded.  Will carry on & look later, so might be an idea to ask for Parish Records only if looking in Kent.

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hey,

Thanks that's fabulous.

Lilygirl.
downunder

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:46 BST (UK) »
I stopped when I found this one:

Birth

William WESTOVER

Sep 1840

Bethnal Green Vol 2 Page 53

If this is him, it might indicate a marriage in Bethnal Green.  As I mentioned above, freebmd has several other births in this area.

A  ;)

Offline Joburg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 06 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     William Westover born 1840 reg.dis. Bethanl Green father is Richard and mother Amelia,? they are on the 1851 census for Bethnal Green.

Regards

Joburg
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

WOuld you mind posting the 1851 census for the Westovers in Bethnal Green?

Are there any others??

Is there any mention of a John and Ann Westover in 1851 or 1841 at all?
Ann's death details state John was a tailor (not sure if that was before he came to Australia or not) and there was a mention of her being late or Canterbury, if that helps??

Lilygirl

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 May 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
Joburg is absolutely right about William's parents - same in 1841 - sorry to mislead.

The only Ann & John WESTOVER I can find in 1841 are in Somerset: he is a butcher and they are abt 25 years of age, with an Elizabeth aged abt 30 - no children.  HO107/937/11/24/7

Pesumably you have looked for shipping records to determine when they came out to Oz?

There is a Canterbury in Kent, but also NZ - maybe they came via NZ?

;)