Author Topic: James Gill born 1817 Newlyn  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Gill born 1817 Newlyn
« on: Monday 24 November 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could find a baptism or the parents for
John Gill,
Born 1817
In Newlyn.

As I understand there is a Newlyn on the coat near Penzance and a Newlyn East a little bit inland much further north in the county..

But James just puts down that he is from "Newlyn" so I assume he is from Newlyn penzance

He was in the navy and then a coastguard for many years and married into a "nautical" family...
So I assume that this also supports my idea that he comes from the former Newlyn as its on the coast..

As I understand the parish of Newlyn. Did not come about until 1851 when it split from a parish called Paul or something similar...

I did see a baptism for James Gill Sep(?) 1816 im Newlyn EAST with father a labourer....

Of course I could order the marriage cert but thought I would try my luck in here first:)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Gill born 1817 Newlyn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Griffi

Newlyn East is still very close to the coast so you should not discount it before getting more information. Anywhere in the UK is no more than 70 miles from the sea and sailors and mariners could come from anywhere.

Can you give a bit more detail? Your heading says James Gill but the first part says John Gill. You mention a marriage. Who did he marry, when and where? Are there any children? 

James "puts down he is from Newlyn".  What type of document was that? A census? A marriage licence? A Navy document? Is he answering a question about his place of birth or his current residence?

Whatever help Rootschatters can suggest you should still consult the original information be it a certified copy of the entry of marriage or the Parish Marriage Register as there may be other information that will point you in the right direction.

Venelow

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
GenUKI says:

The parish of St Newlyn East, (Cornish: Eglosniwlin),(usually abbreviated to Newlyn or Newlyn East), is about five miles south of Newquay.

So, if John/James reported he was from Newlyn, he could have come from either Newlyn! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Its James Gill who is born c 1817 Newlyn. Wife Caroline born c 1817 Fowey on Census.

Marriage likely to Caroline SADLER, Reg June 1845 St Austell (FreeBMD)
Marriage not on CornwallOPC/FreeREG/Familysearch.Org.unless I missed it.

1891 he is born Polperro
Their 1st Son Joseph seems to have been born c 1849 Weybourn, Norfolk. 

Trish :)

EDIT;

JAMES Gill Baptised 06 Dec 1846, All Saints, Weybourne, Norfolk
Parents JAMES/CAROLINE nee Sadler, Fathers Occp Preventative Boatman
(FreeREG)
JOSEPH Gill Baptised 19 Sept 1848, Primitive Methodist Circuit, Briston, Norfolk
Parents JAMES/CAROLINE nee Sadler, Fathers Occp Coast Guard
(FreeREG)

James 1846 must have died before 1851 Census

1851 James is in Essex, down as born c 1816 Newton, Cornwall.
Caroline is in Fowey with Joseph 2 and Mary and Caroline age 6mths
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
From GenUKI:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/F-G.html

Gill, James    born Cornwall 1817    

1851 Gill was on a watch vessel at Benfleet, ESS; wife Caroline was at Lanteglos, Fowey, CON [HO107/1903/10]

1861 Tywardreath Cornwall    

Wife: Caroline, 1818, Fowey, CON.
Children: Joseph, 1849, Weybourne, NFK;
Mary & Caroline, 1850 (2), Fowey, CON;
Elizabeth, 1853, Benfleet, ESS;
William, 1857, Moricetown (Plymouth), DEV.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Griffi

Thanks to K Garrard for the additional information. The marriage is not on the OPC data base as stated. Since Caroline came from Fowey I suspect that the marriage took place there.

A check for any marriages in Fowey 1820 - 1860 brings up nothing so those records are not yet in the OPC database.

There are no Fowey records on the Cornwall record images on Family Search either.

You could contact the On-Line Parish Clerk for Fowey here:

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/e_g/fowey.php  and see if she has any information.

Otherwise you will have to get the marriage certificate to move forward.

There records at the National Archives for James Gill but his place of birth was not given.

Reference:   ADM 29/59/76
Description:    
Original page number: 76

James GILL; Rank: Coastguard; Born: [Not Given]; Age on entry: 24; Dates served: 1 January 1842-9 August 1869; Date and Type of Application: Greenwich 17 July 1858 and other
Date:    1858 Feb-1861 July
Held by:    The National Archives, Kew

This raises the question: If he did not know his place of birth when he joined the navy is the one he put on the census a fiction?

Venelow

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Sorry for not getting back sooner

Yes the bit about "john" is an error on my behalf...
All that information is right k gerrard and thanks for the genuki link, hadnt seen that!

Although, looking at his Navy records earlier on today...
His card says he was borm in Fowey!
Hmmmm

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you traced him from the Royal Navy through the Coastguard records?  Not that it helps with his place of birth  :-\

He was first posted to the coastguard in May 1845 from HMS Dido.  Most Coastguards did not serve in or too close to their home area in case they were too friendly with the locals.  He was stationed in the Fowey at least twice (Polkerris and Polruan) so it may be that he was not born there and Newlyn is correct - whichever one it is.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
James was one of those Coastguards who saw active service during the Crimean War, this was on board HMS Euryalus, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal. He was issued with a Merchant Seamen's Ticket (No. 266,216) on which he gives his place of birth as Fowey, this on the 25 July 1816, however, in a later CG record he now says Newland (ADM 175/31 pdf 38), but it's still July 1816.

Just out of interest he was also awarded a First China Medal for his service on HMS Dido.

Martin