Author Topic: Alice HALL - born circa 1802, Midlands  (Read 1428 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alice HALL - born circa 1802, Midlands
« on: Monday 21 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information regarding one of my ancestor's, Alice Hall, who was born around 1802. I don't believe she knew where she was born as she says Rushington, Warwickshire (1861 Census), Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire (1871 Census) and Not Known (1881 Census) and various census returns. She died in the 1880's.

She married William Florence, a travelling Spectacle Maker in 1820 at St George, Pontesbury, Shropshire and had several children. William and Alice's eldest known child, Henry Florence, was christened at Cannock in 1823, and at the same time there was two children christened to a John Hall who was also an Option (William was described as one at the time), and I believe John was probably Alice's brother. I strongly believe that Alice's father was a traveller, and have been lead to believe that there was travellers called Hall in the Midlands at this time.

If anybody is able to help me find out more information about Alice's younger life, and her possible connection to John Hall, please get in touch.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice HALL - born circa 1802, Midlands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi. M.s. There are travelling folks called hall. But that doesn't mean she.alice. was. A travelling gypsy optician seems a bit too educated for that time. But maybe not. Most romany people were illiterate. But very streetwise. Clever dealers. And could turn to anything to make a living. I suggest you take a look at the people who are living in and around Alice. In the census records. I.e next door neighbours etc.as all travellers camp/live/or lodge together most of the time. Very close knit community. Have a look you may find what you're after.  Rob. G
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your message.

I believe by 1861 the Florence's had settled down into the small community at Hanbury in Staffordshire, almost as if William had retired from travelling. There is some more historic records (18th century church records) that record other parts of the Florence family in Hanbury, but not many Hall's that I can make a connection with at the moment.

I have searched for the family on the 1841 and 1851 census, but have had no joy finding them. If they were travelling then they probably would be missed off the census returns.

Also, with a travelling Spectacle Maker the person does not need to be that well educated. All they need to do is to make the actual lenses, which would not have been produced for the individual like they are today. It would just be a case of somebody turning up, trying on all the specs and hoping that there are a pair helps their eye site out. Also, on the two birth certificates I have for William & Alice's children, Alice was unable to sign her name, so she definitely was not a reader/writer.

Thanks, MercianSte.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again. Busy day. Sorry to get back so late. I don't know if you have any connection with romany folks. But even if you stop travelling. You will still stay in touch with the rest of the travellers around you. We did/do marry mainly within the community. This may sound silly but it's like being a Asian. You may not be from the sub continent. But you will mix with your own ethnic groups. So if there are others from the gypsies community around william or alice.you will find them. Try some of the romany sites. See if you can find some Florences.or halls in your search area. Sometimes people were called travellers when they were sales men. If I can be of any help. Feel free to contact me.  Anyway cushty boc..good luck.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .