Author Topic: Wallace, Killoquin Lower.  (Read 5096 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace, Killoquin Lower.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 August 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the gravestone wording. Think it might help towards sorting this all out  :)

Starting with Charles James Taylor- you said earlier you'd his birth certificate but never mentioned the exact date of birth (which is the same as the James Taylor from birth extracts that I posted a link for in reply #7)- so, either Charles J. and James were twins or Charles James and James are the same child. What was the date the birth certificate was written? (i.e. issued at time of registration/shortly afterwards or many years later)

Charles Taylor was in Culmore with his mother in 1901 but married with a young son in 1911 (as Charlie James Taylor)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Kirkinriola/Brocklamont__part_of/118567
8 Sept.1923 arrived in Boston, Mass. from Londonderry, N.I.: Charles Taylor, 43, born Rasharkin, gardener, going to Philadelphia. Son- James Taylor, 16, mechanic, born Kilrea. Daughter Sarah, 11, school, born Ballymena.
Naturalization records for Charles James Taylor, gardener, born 23 Apr.1879 Culmore, show 2 children: James born 25 June 1907 and Sarah born 25 Sept.1911.
1942 WWII draft registration card for Charles has same birthdate, gives a Mrs. Annie J. Taylor as contact (perhaps a 2nd wife) but more interestingly (for me at least because of the local connection) is the name and address of his employer- Samuel Robinson of Glencoe House.
http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/samuel-robinson.aspx

Back to the headstone, here's brother William McAleese: McAleese William of Lower Tamlaght Kilrea county Londonderry labourer died 21 March 1952 at Bann View Hospital Coleraine county Londonderry Administration Londonderry 13 June to Mary Browne McAleese the widow. Effects £135 18s. 1d.

If both Hessie (1886) and William (1890) were the illegitimate children of Margaret Jane McAleese perhaps Charles James Taylor (1879) was also illegitimate (either Margaret Jane gave the registrar false details or the baby's father appeared at the registration). Taking it back a step further, perhaps Margaret Jane McAleese was the illegitimate daughter of Patrick McAleese and a Margaret Wallace.

Added- you needn't quote every post in your reply as this can make the reply over-long,
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
I sat down this afternoon and put all the possible details found so far into chronological order and then did some re-checking.

c1859/61          Margaret Jane McAleese born (unfortunately too early for a birth certificate)
1878, 3 Oct      Charles Taylor & Margaret Jane McAleese witnesses at wedding of Robert Boyd & Jane Matilda Bellingham (2nd Kilrea)
1879, 23 Apr.   Charles James/James Taylor born Culmore
1886, 13 Nov.   Hessie McAleese born
1896                 Patrick McAleese, Culmore dies (daughter Peggy Jane McAleese in Will)
1901                 Margaret Jane McAleese at Culmore with children Charles Taylor, Hessie McAleese, William McAleese
1905, Oct/Dec   Charles James Taylor m.(Ballymoney) Mary Forsythe Clements
1907, 25 June   James L Taylor born Kilrea
1911                Margaret Jane McAleese at Culmore with son William McAleese
1911                 Charlie J. Taylor at Brocklamont with wife Mary & son James L.
1911, Sept.      Sarah Taylor born Ballymena
1917, Apr.        Margaret Jane McAleese died
1923, Sept.      Charles J. Taylor & children James & Sarah arrive in U.S.
1952                William McAleese died

So far fairly simple.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
What I had overlooked before was the names of both witnesses at the 1878 Boyd-Bellingham marriage- Charles Taylor & Margaret Jane McAleese- surely too much of a co-incidence not to be the parents of Charles James Taylor born Apr.1879 (which means Margaret Jane could have been pregnant at the time they were witnessing the wedding.

Now, for Charles Taylor (Sr.): I checked 1901 and 1911 census records for a possible match and found most likely one in Lisnagaver (near Culmore)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Killoquin_Lower/Lisnagaver/946363
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Killoquin/Lisnagaver/130049
Note: several children born America= Thomas G. (c1888), Rosetta (c1890)
Marriage: Charles Taylor 1885 to Sarah Glasgow
Likely this same Charles: Taylor Charles of Lisnagaver county Antrim farmer died 29 December 1928 Probate Belfast 13 March to James Wallace and Charles Taylor junior farmers. Effects £155.
Son John Glasgow Taylor in New Zealand: http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/56712.detail
Someone looking for Glasgow-
http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_topics/thread/465937
Now, I found another marriage for a Charles Taylor just around the time Charles James was born which I'm wondering might be a 1st marriage- 1879, Oct/Dec   Charles Taylor m.(Ballymoney) Elizabeth = Lizzie Stanton or Lizzey McMullan/Lizzie Mullan
Possible birth for Charles James Taylor's daughter:
? Sarah Thompson Taylor birth Oct./Dec.1911 Ballymena https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB5R-D57

Death: Margaret Jane McAleese Margaret Jane McAleese (c1849-1917) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR2Q-YTG

Birth: ? Hessie Grahams McAleese (Oct./Dec.1886 Ballymoney dist.)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBCT-JZ6
It's possible her father was Graham & I have a possible 'suspect'

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for putting so much effort in finding this information and it does fit in really well. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have found out.
Tranter, Palmer, McAleese, Wallace, Bolton, Bowman

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Now for Patrick McAleese:
Patrick McAleese (c1811-1896 Ballymoney dist.) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FT8D-LPY
Probate of the Will of Patrick M'Aleese late of Culmore County Antrim Farmer who died 21 March 1896 granted at Belfast to James M'Laughlin of Ballymaconly said County Merchant. Effects £358 7s.

Might be a coincidence but the Will of a Patrick McAleese of Culmore (died 1896) gives only a small bequest to his daughter Peggy Jane McAleese (www.proni.gov.uk) which seems a bit strange.
Patrick's Will (dated 14 Jan.1896 directed that the farm in Culmore was to be sold and left beqeasts as follows- sister Sally McAleese £50, sister Catherine McCloskey £2, niece Mary Jane McCloskey £15, nephew Patrick McCloskey (America) £15 and "I bequeath the sum of one shilling To my daughter Peggy Jane McAleese."
Note: a small legacy of 1 shilling was common in cases where one didn't want a close relative to be able to contest the Will- because the person had been mentioned they couldn't later claim to have been unintentionally omitted from the Will.

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
He certainly wasn't very pleased with his daughter to have done that!
Tranter, Palmer, McAleese, Wallace, Bolton, Bowman