Author Topic: John Gordon Mcpherson  (Read 1111 times)

Offline theolddear

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gordon Mcpherson
« on: Tuesday 20 May 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for John Gordon Mcpherson b Stepney 1854. At some time he emigrated to South Africa and married Emily Ann ? As oi cannot find a marriage in England I am assuming he married in SA. They went on to have a son Leslie Graham Mcpherson and he died at the age of about 61 and a half years ,old. If anyone could help I would be really grateful. I have tried to access records for SA through Family Search but have been unable to find anything as yet.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Gordon Mcpherson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have found the baptism of Leslie - born 10 May 1884 in familysearch in the Methodist Church under Grahamstown, but no other trace of him or his parents.

The only suggestion I can make is to scroll through all the marriages in the Methodist Church for Grahamstown for the year prior to 1884 :( 

I have been unable to find anything for any of them in the National Archives either.  Could they possibly have left South Africa after Leslie was born?

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline theolddear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Gordon Mcpherson
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. I also had found the birth of Leslie but as far as I know they did not leave SA. I will certainly look at the marriages.