Author Topic: Ernest E Philbrick 1896-1963  (Read 3845 times)

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest E Philbrick 1896-1963
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 June 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
Kronstard is a misspelling of a Kroonstad a town in the Free State province South Africa.

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 June 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit more about Ernest Snr. He was first married to Alice Maud Philbrick, born in Ryde England  the daughter of George Edward and Sarah Philbrick. Ernest and Alice have a daughter Gertrude Sarah who dies on the 4 of Feb 1893 aged 3 months in Bloemfontein which is some 140 miles south of Kroonstad and is the capital city of the Free State Province. Alice dies aged 28 yrs on the 18 of Nov 1892 ( at child birth ?)also in Bloemfotein. On the 14 of Nov 1893 in Kroonstad Ernest snr signs receipt of monies left to him by the estates of his daughter and his wife.

Offline natz300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 June 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit more about Ernest Snr. He was first married to Alice Maud Philbrick, born in Ryde England and the daughter of George Edward and Sarah Philbrick. Ernest and Alice have a daughter Gertrude Sarah who dies on the 4 of Feb 1893 aged 3 months in Bloemfontein which is some 140 south of Kroonstad and is the capital city of the Free State Province. Alice dies aged 28 yrs on the 18 of Nov 1892 ( at child birth ?)also in Bloemfotein. On the 14 of Nov 1983 in Kroonstad Ernest snr signs receipt of monies left to him by the estates of his daughter and his wife.

Thank you very much Braw, Can I ask where you found out this information? I'm guessing either Ernest snr was British after all or the first Alice travelled and met him over there. How unusual to marry another person of the same surname, or I wonder did he take on his wife's name and pretended it was actually his name when he remarried if it was 140 away from where Ernest jr was born.

Why is it you think you are getting somewhere then even more questions pop up!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 June 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Quote from: natz300
Quote from: braw
Here is a bit more about Ernest Snr.

He was first married to Alice Maud Philbrick, born in Ryde England and the daughter of George Edward and Sarah Philbrick.

Ernest and Alice have a daughter Gertrude Sarah who dies on the 4 of Feb 1893 aged 3 months in Bloemfontein which is some 140 south of Kroonstad and is the capital city of the Free State Province.

Alice dies aged 28 yrs on the 18 of Nov 1892 ( at child birth ?)also in Bloemfotein.

I'm guessing either Ernest snr was British after all or the first Alice travelled and met him over there.

How unusual to marry another person of the same surname, or I wonder did he take on his wife's name and pretended it was actually his name when he remarried if it was 140 away from where Ernest jr was born.

Mmm.. that's interesting Philbrick marrying Philbrick one of the links I sent you mentioned Ernest had married Mary Elizabeth CURTIS - no date given for his marriage
they must have assumed he married Mary Elizabeth Curtis rather than Alice Maud Philbrick
Here's some of the info. from that link http://www.rootschat.com/links/013kr/

Ernest Edward Philbrick b1867 son of Edward Philbrook and Selina Style they married 1866 Alverstoke he was christened 17 March 1867 St John, Ryde, Isle of Wight.
1871c  son, age   4, Oakfield, Isle of Wight.
1881c  son, age 14, Oakfield, Hampshire  occ Grocer's Assistant
1891c         age 25 Isle of Wight          a Bombadier Royal Artillery
1892 he married Mary Elizabeth Curtis marriage recorded at Epsom Reg district Mar qtr.

Marriage entry from FreeBMD
Mar 1892 Epsom vol 2a page 3
Ernest Edward Philbrick
Female names on same page
Alice Maud Philbrick
Mary Elizabeth Curtis

this shows them to have the same surname - so maybe related in someway
you would need to look at their respective father's to see if there is a connection
- possibly brothers

Ernest Edward Philbrick b1867 his father Edward b1844 his father John mother Jane
1844 christening Edward https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JW33-NHX

Alice Maud Philbrick her father George Edward b1832 his father John mother Jane
1832 christening George https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N146-38T
1863 christening Alice https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N6PS-WL4
1871c Alice with parents https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFDG-WC1?cc=1538354

I have searched for a marriage between Ernest Snr and Alice but I cant find one I presume they married over in South Africa.

I wonder if the divorce in 1916 of Ernest Edward Philbrick and Alice Rebecca nee Melville will give you the date of their marriage

Marriage certificates are of little use to genealogists in South Africa. They do not give the names and occupations of parents. They are as difficult to get as birth certificates best chance of seeing one is if the couple got divorced, and you find a copy in the divorce records.
SOME divorce records are in the archives  - search here http://www.rootschat.com/links/013ks/
Search KAB – Cape Town Archives Repository
enter surname Philbrick, click result summary
Or
Search RSA – All Archives…..
Enter surname Philbrick, click result summary

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z8w/

Ernest and Alice have a daughter Gertrude Sarah who dies on the 4 of Feb 1893 aged 3 months in Bloemfontein which is some 140 south of Kroonstad and is the capital city of the Free State Province.

Alice dies aged 28 yrs on the 18 of Nov 1892 ( at child birth ?) also in Bloemfotein

Is Gertrude Sarah born Feb 1893 Bloemfotein the daughter of Alice Maud Philbrick nee Philbrick who died Nov 1892 or Alice Rebecca nee Melville

On Ernest Jun b/c his father is listed as being a Guard and on his marriage certificate it says he is an Army vet

natz300 - What was Ernest Edward Philbrick (Jnr.) dob?

On the 14 of Nov 1983 in Kroonstad Ernest snr signs receipt of monies left to him by the estates of his daughter and his wife

Is this date correct as Ernest Snr was born c1867 that would make him 116 years old  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 June 14 07:40 BST (UK) »
I got the information from the Estate file of Alice Maud lodged here at the Free State archive repository. The file contained both the death notices of Alice Maud and her daughter Gertrude and noted on these documents are the place of death, age, date of death and names of parents etc and also in this file are the Executors documents. Ernest Snr inherited £13.16.0 from his daughter and £21.50.0 from his wife and signed receipt on 14/11/1893.The archive reference is:

Depot:VAB
Source:MHG
Reference:P722
Description:PHILBRICK, ALICE MAUD. MAIDEN NAME PHILBRICK. SPOUSE ERNEST EDWARD PHILBRICK.
Date:1892

Further I found the parents of Alice Maud on Ancestry.co.uk.

Name:Sarah Philbrick
spouse:George Edwd Philbrick
Birth: Abt 1829 Middelsex, England
Residence 1871: Hampshire, England

Name: George Edward Philbrick
Spouse: Sarah Philbrick
Birth: Abt 1832
Residence: 1871 Hampshire, England.

Offline natz300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 June 14 07:41 BST (UK) »

natz300 - What was Ernest Edward Philbrick (Jnr.) dob?

Ernest Jnr DOB is 27th August 1896.

Im looking into the idea that Ernest Sn and Alice Maud were related.

Offline natz300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 June 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Braw thanks for that. Is or would there be any information in the divorce files of Ernest Sn and Alice Rebecca Melville on who her parents were / any other children they may of had?

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
Natz, you wont find her parents names in the divorce files, her children maybe if they were minors.Your best bet would be her death notice as it would usually contain the names of the parents and the names of children. I searched our archives and the only Alice Rebecca Melville records I can find is for a Lily Alice Rebecca Jordaan (born Melville) the wife of Louis Daniel Jordaan. I dont know if this is the lady in question. Maybe Louis was her second husband and Lily a pet name . The file reference containing the death notice is:

Depot: TAB
Source:MHG
Type:LEER
System:01
Reference:2384/56
Description:Jordaan,Lily Alice Rebecca
Date:1956
Remarks: Predeceased spouse Louis Daniel Jordaan ( his death notice file dated 1946 gives her maiden name as Melville).

The www.eggsa.org web site offer a document ordering service.

Regards

Offline natz300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
Ok Braw, thanks for all your help. Will see if I can get a copy of those.